Monday, December 6, 2010

Pregnant!

The First Test

After a crazy roller coaster ride of indecisiveness, Robbie and I decided now is a good time to have kids. We had been trying for a couple months, but even in those couple of months sometimes we would change our minds and take breaks from trying. We knew we wanted to start having children, but it's just scary because we don't have as much money as we want and I have been struggling with finding work in my field. But in the end, we decided to stick with it and keep trying. We figured that by the time the kid(s) are ready to start school, I can start pursuing my professional dreams if they haven't changed at that point. That way I can stay home and be a mom during some of the most important years of our child's life without worrying about a career I'm already in knee deep. Of course, as the indecisive person I tend to be, I still worry if this was the right decision sometimes, but there is no turning back now!

Friday night of November 19th, I had some pretty crazy dreams that I was super pregnant. When I woke up in the morning (November 20th) I decided to humor myself and scooted off to the bathroom to take a pregnancy test when I woke up in the morning. I set it on the sink to let it work its magic and right away a plus sign started appearing. I decided not to stare at it, and wandered around the kitchen nonchalantly waiting for they test to be ready. When I went back in the bathroom, sure enough, there was a bold plus sign waiting for me. I was surprised and happy, but at the same time part of me knew that I was already. Robbie was still sleeping at this point and I trotted into the bedroom and waved the test at him. He is not a very alert person in the morning and looked at it but was confused. He asked me what it meant. I told him it meant I was pregnant and he was stunned. He was really happy and excited, but had to sit down and digest the news for a little while. I think he was a little shocked! It was 5 days before I was expecting my period, the earliest the test can be taken, and I don't think he was expecting to wake up to that! But he was very happy and full of hugs and kisses!

We told our parents the exciting news that day, but decided to wait until I took a second test before letting anyone else know. On Tuesday, November 23, the day of my expected period, I took another test. It was positive again! It definitely felt more real have two tests verify the pregnancy. Since then we have told our families and close friends, but are waiting to blab it to the world until after my first appointment with the midwives on December 16th. We are so excited, and it feels wonderful to have so many people share in our excitement. Its hard to feel so nervous and uncertain about the future when we have the love and support of so many wonderful people. Thank you all!

Positive Pregnancy Tests

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jasmin, What a wonderful idea to have a blog about your experience in growing your baby! Thank you for sharing and believe me, I look forward to reading every update. By the way, November 19 is Joe's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Jasmin! I look forward to reading about your stories of beginning your journey of being a mom!
    :)

    ReplyDelete