Monday, February 23, 2015

Mattimeo's Martial Arts Class (Session 1: earning his first stripe)


Mattimeo became a Lil' Dragon and started his very first Martial Arts class this winter. He is taking class at Riverview and we are all more than happy with the program. The aims of the program are to:
  • Gain injury prevention skills through dynamic martial art exercises designed to help our Lil’ ones handle the bumps and falls of active kid life.
  • Engage in challenges that will ignite creativity and imagination while working agility, coordination, and balance to boost your child’s self-esteem.
  • Focus on improving fine and gross motor skills, cognitive development, emotional control, and taking healthy and appropriate “out of your comfort zone” risks in a safe and nurturing environment.
The Lil' Dragons is only for 3-5 year olds, so Meo has been enjoying the companionship of kids his own age while also being motivated to try to knew things and be a good listener as his fellow classmates set excellent examples. The instructor, Nina, does an excellent job of finding a balance between fun and discipline. She demands respect and obedience in a gentle yet effective way. Yet she is full of joy, enthusiasm, encouragement, and kindness. I have been nothing but impressed by how she is able to keep the attention of a room full of preschoolers for an hour: to get them to stand in lines, to not speak without raising their hands, to have them imitate her every move, and still laugh and have so much fun. They respect and trust her, and even like her. Meo is always excited to raise his hand to share ideas he has and always looks forward to her high fives for an effort well made. It's the first time I've been able to completely on the sidelines, or even out of the room, and have Meo be on his best behavior listening to a non-family member. He has the same respect and affection towards the assistant teacher, Tim, who is just as wonderful (and also a big help with playing with Link while I get Meo dressed after class!).

My favorite from this first session is when they were all sitting in a circle. Meo raised his hand and patiently raised his hand and waited for Nina to finish speaking. When she called on him, he clearly said, "I have an idea. Well. So. I have a new toy, his name is Blackout and he is a treecutter." Nina responded with a genuine smile and an enthusiastic awesome while giving him a high five. Then all of the other students raised their hand to in turn tell Nina about a beloved toy they have at home. She patiently went around to each kid with equal enthusiasm, and you could just tell all the kids felt like what they were saying was important and they felt special. I couldn't help but silently giggle in the back of the room, and was amazed that she was able to keep a straight face from such a cuteness overload...she handled it perfectly and the kids were all so happy.

Here are some photos and videos from each of the classes in this first session. 

12/30/2014 His very first class. This one Meo and I were able to go alone (Link stayed home with Robbie). This was good because Meo needed my help to get used to the class. I ran around with him and essentially took the class with him until he got comfortable following instructions and having me stand in the back.






1/5/2015 I was pleased to see that every class is a little bit different. They work on old and new skills, and there is usually an awesome obstacle course of sorts, but besides that every class is new and keeps the kids engaged and excited.














Playing a variation of Duck, Duck, Goose.




1/12/2015



The kids always help with setting up obstacle courses.






1/19/2015














Link is a great sport at all of Meo's classes. Usually I wear him on my back and he is content watching the class with me. Other times he is wiggly and we go in another room to play toys or be nursed.


2/3/2015






2/9/2015 At the beginning of this class, Mattimeo was given his very first stripe (the earn three stripes on a belt then are advanced to the next color belt). Meo had seen the other kids have stripes on their belts and really wanted to earn one himself, so when he got called up for his very own strip he was radiating with pride. I was actually nursing Link when I heard Nina call Meo up to the front and ran out to the room (while still nursing Link cradled in one hand) so I could see his big moment and take a picture. It was worth the effort because right after he turned around to look at me and give me the biggest smile.








No comments:

Post a Comment