On this very snowy day, Robbie and I had an appointment for a meeting with a genetics counselor and for my sequential screening. During the meeting with the genetics counselor we went through our family histories and descent and discussed any risks our baby might be faced with. In particular we were looking at the chances of our baby developing IHSS, which is a heart condition that runs in my family. Fortunately, since my mom and siblings don't have the disease, my chances of passing the disease to our baby appear to be very low. So that was good to hear.
The sequential screening consisted of an ultrasound and having my blood drawn. This was our first ultrasound, and it was an incredible experience. I thought it would be difficult to see the baby, just because it's always been difficult for me to pick out babies in other people's ultrasound pictures. But we saw our baby clearly right away! At 12 weeks and 2 days, it is amazing how developed he/she already is! The technician was very pleased because she said the baby was in a perfect position for us to see and for her to take measurements. She said that is very rare for babies to be so well positioned, so we were really lucky. Our baby was kicking and wiggling around; very active. He/she also started using its little fingers to play with its nose which made us all laugh. Based on the progress of the babies development, she estimated that I should be 12 weeks and 2 days along, which is exactly how far along I am based on the date of my last menstrual cycle. So my estimated due date of July 25th is actually a very good one. The baby is 5.5 cm long and has a healthy heart rate of 165 beats per minute. We could see the flutter of the baby's heart which was beautiful, as well as its developing brain. We could also see each of its tiny fingers and toes. She ended the ultrasound by showing me my bladder and how full it was (you are supposed to have a full bladder during an ultrasound) and said she was going to stop now so I could go pee. Having that ultrasound today and actually seeing our baby for the first time was one of the most wonderful experiences in my life so far. I can't believe there is a tiny person dancing around in my tummy right now. I am so glad that our baby is healthy, strong, and beautiful. Here is a video of our ultrasound for your enjoyment, as well as some pictures.
 |
| 12 Weeks |
 |
| 12 Weeks |
 |
| 12 Weeks |
omg im crying so happy!!!!! you can c the baby so good
ReplyDeletethat video is stunning and amazing! i'm glad you got there safely and that all is well with your wee one!
ReplyDeleteAwww Jaz! You're baby looks so beautiful! I am so happy for you and Robbie! I hope that your pregnancy continues to be healthy :)
ReplyDeleteBig hugs!
Thanks you guys!! :) It's so much fun being pregnant (at least when your not puking hehe)!
ReplyDelete