Robbie and I went to our first appointment today at Back Cove Midwives and we are really happy with how it went. We started off by spending about 20 minutes filling out paperwork about our background and such, then we met with one of the full-time medical assistants, Martha. Martha was really nice, and made us both feel extremely comfortable. We enjoyed water and sitting in a nice cushy couch while Martha went through our chart asking us lots of questions and telling us about how things work there. They have four midwives, one of which is always on call 24-7. They all have advanced nursing degrees in Nurse Midwifery. All of the births take place at the Birthplace in Mercy Hospital, where we will have the same private room for my entire stay complete with a day bed for Robbie, a jacuzzi, and fridge to keep snacks if we want.We are probably going to call about having a tour sometime soon so we can check it out in person. After talking about the birthplace, we carefully went through an entire packet of information, including prenatal screening options, nutrition plans, and information for what kind of medicine/treatment is safe to use while I am pregnant for various ailments (such as colds or headaches). I am excited to look through it all. After she went through everything with us, Robbie and I pelted her with our own questions, and we were very pleased with the answers we got. I am sure we made the right choice about where to go now, I already feel like I am in good hands. We finished the visit by having my blood drawn (to determine my blood type, amount of iron in my blood, etc.), giving a urine sample, and checking my blood pressure. My next visit on the 30th will be with one of the midwives, and that's when I'll have a complete physical exam, including checking for the baby's heartbeat, as well as setting up prenatal screenings and talking about more stuff we need to know. I am excited!
Estimated Due Date: July 25, 2011
(which makes me 8 weeks and 3 days along in my pregnancy)
No comments:
Post a Comment