Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Birth Stories: Share yours!

Last night we watched a film called Orgasmic Birth: The Best-Kept Secret:
Joyous, sensuous and revolutionary, Orgasmic Birth brings the ultimate challenge to our cultural myths by inviting viewers to see the emotional, spiritual, and physical heights attainable through birth. Witness the passion as birth is revealed as an integral part of woman's sexuality and a neglected human right.
In the film you are able to see several women go through labor, the birth of their babies, and the joy they experience holding and seeing their babies for the first time. They also spend time in-between birth stories to compare and contrast having birth at home, in the hospital, and at birthing centers. While I was well aware that natural childbirth is nothing like what they show on television and movies, and wasn't expecting to see anything like I've seen before, I still felt a little surprised watching this film. These births were just so completely different than what media exposes us to. While some women literally had orgasms through birth and labor, other women looked as though they were in intense pain. But when they spoke about their experience after, the referred to that pain as bliss; as something that changed their lives. I suppose the most important message I got from this film is that no matter what unexpected events happen during birth, if you embrace your experience and allow yourself to let go completely, giving birth can be wonderful and life changing. Childbirth should be something you look forward to, not dread. I highly recommend this film to anyone who is pregnant, anyone who is thinking about having children, anyone who has had children but did not particularly enjoy the experience, and everyone else. There is a website where you can learn more about it and purchase the film: http://www.orgasmicbirth.com/ . Alternatively, you can buy the book Orgasmic Birth, which comes with the DVD or you can find the film for free if you search around internet-land hard enough. Note that the introduction part of this film is a little weird (lots of moaning women), but its worth continuing!

After watching this film, and reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth I have really come to appreciate the value of hearing other woman's birth stories and pregnancy experiences. In history, and even in some cultures today, it was common for women to sit around and share stories as well as their knowledge regarding pregnancy and child-birthing. In our culture, this is more difficult to do and I find that a lot of what I have been learning comes from books, films, and other people's blogs. I really value the time before and after my prenatal yoga class I have to talk with the other pregnant woman; they are so wonderful to talk to and I have learned so much from them. I also have been learning a lot talking to my midwives. But I think it would be really wonderful to hear some more birth stories from people I know, or just people who are willing to share. In Ina May's book she says:
Stories teach us in ways we can remember. They teach us that each woman responds to birth in her unique way and how very wide-ranging that way can be. Sometimes they teach us about silly practices once widely held that were finally discarded. They teach us the occasional difference between accepted medical knowledge and the real bodily experiences that women have-including those that are never reported in medical textbooks nor admitted as possibilities in the medical world. They also demonstrate the mind/body connection in a way that medical studies cannot. Birth stories told by women who were active participants in giving birth often express a good deal of practical wisdom, inspiration, and information for other women. Positive stories shared by women who have had wonderful childbirth experiences are an irreplaceable way to transmit knowledge of a woman's true capacities in pregnancy and birth.
So if you have given birth, please comment with your story. I am sure more people than just I will benefit from it. I don't care if you had a natural birth or cesarean section, an orgasmic birth or the worst pain of your life. I am just interested in hearing your story. Thanks in advance.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jasmin! I'd be happy to share mine with you- I'll send it as an attachment if you send me your email address again. I too, wanted to hear birth stories when I was pregnant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole week I had my girls is kind of a blur. On Tuesday, I worked a half day then went for a check up. My bp was 160/120 and my whole pregnancy it was 110/70. They were very concerned especially with twins its already high risk. I was admitted to the hospital with pre-eclampsia. They ran tests for two days to make sure the babies were ok to be delivered since I was only at 34weeks and 6 days. They said they babies were a great size and looked healthy so that Thursday morning I had Alexa and Megan via c-section. They were perfect and healthy. They were breathing on their own and just had a little difficulty maintaining their body temp, but nothing that couldn't be controlled with lots of blankets and a heating pad for the first 36 hours or so. They were released from the hospital after 3 days. Recovery from the c-section was much easier than I expected. I had heard lots of horror stories, but I was walking the next day and by the time I was home from the hospital, I was feeling very good. My girls were 6lbs 8 oz and 6lbs 13 oz. I think they may have been a little off on their due date calculation.. for twins at 35 weeks that was HUGE!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing ladies! (Ellie shared hers in private) Amanda, I am so glad everything worked out for you and the twins; they are adorable. It's good to hear that having a c-section isn't the worst thing in the world if it's necessary. I am just curious: did you breastfeed the twins? If so, did you have any trouble? I am just curious because a lot of what I've read says that it is more difficult for women to breastfeed after a c-section because they aren't able to have as much skin-to-skin contact immediately after birth, and I wanted to know if this was true for you. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since they were born early my milk had not come in yet so they had formula for the first few days, then all they had was breast milk for the first 3 months. When they started eating more, I couldn't keep up so they nursed but were supplemented with formula until they were 8 months old. The lacation specialist said my milk didn't come in until about day 5 because they were early not cause of the c-section. It was hard work but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that's great! I'm glad everything worked out for you guys :) Breastfeeding twins must take a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete