Friday, February 24, 2012

Mmm, Lemons??

Lemon?

That's right. Mattimeo tried a lemon last night! I was cooking dinner and needed the juice of half a lemon. As I was wrapping up the other half of lemon to store for later, I thought it would be funny to see how Meo reacted to eating a lemon. Robbie thought it would be funny too and got out is camera to take a video of his face.


We were so surprised by his reaction! He actually liked the lemon, and didn't make a sour face at all! I was intrigued and cut the lemon half into a more manageable slice and let him have at it. I was astonished to find that minutes later, he had completely sucked out all the juice for his quarter of a lemon! Very impressive I think.

Mmmm, lemons! (6 months)

Thus, Mattimeo had a lemon for an appetizer. For dinner, we made falafels. These are an Indian dish of mashed up chick peas and an assortment of spices fried in oil. We like to top ours with Greek yogurt mixed with lemon and tahini (sesame seed paste). This time I made my falafel from a recipe I found in Better Than Peanut Butter & Jelly: Quick Vegetarian Meals Your Kids Will Love!, a vegetarian cookbook by Mattare and Muldawere. I am finding this cookbook to be quite helpful when I want to make something quick that is packed with nutrients and something a little different than what we usually have. Yes, I realize its a kids' cookbook, but turns out grown-ups can use it too. Normally we eat falafel with tomatoes and lettuce like we would a burger, but this time we tried it with shredded carrots and cucumbers as suggested by the cookebook. They were so delicious (and nutritious!).

Falafel for dinner


With some unseasoned mashed up organic chick peas and shredded carrots, I even had a little meal for Mattimeo. I love giving Meo a variation on what we are having for dinner, I think it makes it feel more like a family meal.

Organic chick peas and carrots for Meo

5 comments:

  1. unbaleavable!!!wouldnt be suprised if he liked onions and peppers lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the mmm mmm sounds Good looking super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always so impressed and in love with your posts. Seeing Meo eat at that lemon made me smile so big! Who knew! Would you mind if I put this on my doula page?
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! What face! So adorable, and so good for his liver :)

    ReplyDelete