Friday, August 10, 2012

Mattimeo Turns 1! (Part 2: The Actual Day)

Tuesday, August 7th, was Mattimeo's first birthday. I decided that we would have a nice, peaceful day at home together. Poor Robbie had to work, so he didn't get to spend the day with Meo. Fortunately for him (me, not so much, but that's fine), Meo woke up really early so Robbie was able to play with him and read the books Meo handed to him before heading off to work.


Before I mustered up the energy to crawl out of bed, Meo had some fun playing with Theta (who also wished that it was still sleeping time) and putting toys on the bed for me.






Okay. Time to get up and make breakfast. While I was busy making some coffee and breakfast for the both of us, Meo was busy adventuring and experimenting. If I am not wearing him while preparing a meal, I frequently will check on him and am almost constantly communicating with him, whether it be through song or questions. When it got quiet for a second and Meo had removed himself from my sight, I checked around the corner to find this happening:

Climbing into his push wagon

Making vroom vroom sounds


That's right. He managed to climb right up into his push wagon. Did I mention that the other day he actually surfed his little wooden chair to our bed and used it to climb up onto our bed? He also climbed up the steps of the porch and popped up at the door banging on in, scaring me half to death when I literally ran inside to put the zucchini I picked in the fridge for five seconds. Oh, and he also likes to climb up the bulk had and stand at the top banging against the house. We surely have a little climber on our hands, which from what I hear is not unlike his daddy. I guess when Robbie was only 3 years old, he managed to climb up onto the refrigerator and his mom couldn't find him for a little while. Boy oh boy! When people said we are in trouble once he becomes mobile, they weren't kidding! Thankfully he is a good-natured and trusting baby, and will look to me as sort of a check-in to make sure I approve of his antics most of the time.

Anyways, after pushing him around the house for a while in his wagon (which, by the way, isn't it's intended use), we ate some fruit salad for breakfast, followed by a nap.

Relaxed at breakfast time

After he woke up, my mom came over. It was a gorgeous day outside, so after playing with Meo for a bit, eating lunch, and reading him some more books, Mema and I took Meo out for a walk in his new wagon.

Mema pulling Meo

Wagon ride on his birthday

We walked over to the lake and took a break to get our feet wet and feel the water. Turns out, the water was so warm and delicious that we really wanted to go for a swim. My mom had her bathing suit on and I did not, so she got to go swimming. Meo didn't have a swim diaper on, so we decided to just let him go for a swim in the nude, aka his birthday suit.







so happy to be swimming!






examining duckweed



It was so beautiful to watch my mom and Meo together in the water. The lake was so quiet and peaceful and Meo absolutely loves playing in water. Meo saw some spherical buoys in the water kept saying "Ball! Ball! Ball!" and pointing to them. The were too far and deep for my mom to go take him to however. So Meo was trying to swim to them! He was kicking his legs like made and clawing at the water, splashing up all kinds of water. I had never seen him do that! My mom and I started calling him our little otter. I bet he will be swimming before we know it!

On the way back, Meo was pretty sleepy. But that didn't prevent him from being goofy and throwing both his and my mom's water bottles out of the wagon. My mom ended up having to carry them while I pulled Meo home.
Drinking water
Meo and I heading home
When we got back, Meo took a nap. Not long after he woke up, Robbie came home and we gave Meo his birthday presents. He loved ripping at the paper, and was especially cute because he handed all the trash to his Grandma before ripping more paper off his presents. We got Meo a "dancing alligator" the clacks along as you pull it around.
Loving his new alligator toy
The rest of the books in the Bill Martin/Eric Carle Brown Bear, Brown Bear series. Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See? is all about native North American wildlife, Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? is all about endangered species, and Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? has buttons to press to hear animal sounds. Meo really likes pushing the button to make the zookeeper whistle.
He got a new hooded, long sleeve t-shirt with a brown bear on it for autumn.
Handing Grandma the trash
New shirt
And we got him a P'kolino robot gear shape sorter. So far, he really likes playing with the shape blocks and carries them around the house.
Showing Meo how it works
Pointing to the heart
Trying to put a block in the hole
After opening presents, we had dinner. As it was a Tuesday, we had Taco Tuesday! Every week, Grandma and Grandpa make tacos for all of us and we all eat together. We all look forward to Taco Tuesdays; it is a very special tradition. Meo even has a special "I Love Tacos" Green Sprouts bib to wear on Taco Tuesdays.
"Almost time to eat Grandpa??"
Taco Tuesday!
Meo got really sleepy before he finished his meal and started crying a little. We were said because we wanted to sing happy birthday to him and give him a cupcake. We decided to take his food away and bring out the cupcakes just to see what would happen, and he instantly stopped crying! I guess he already has formed a very fond opinion of cupcakes! So we got to sing happy birthday after all and gave him his birthday cupcake (vanilla). This time, he knew what he was doing!
"Oh yes"
"No! I am not going to share with you Mommy!"
Mischievous Meo
"Well then! I see how it is!" haha
Delicious!
Meo got very, VERY silly after his cupcake. I guess he got a bit of a sugar high! hehe
After cake, Daddy and Meo had their special nightly bath time together. Meo's newest thing is that he loves laying one his back in the water while Robbie sings to him. We think it is both relaxing, and sounds really cool to hear Daddy while under water. He likes it so much so that sometimes he will lean back himself in the water, which is very scary for Daddy! Also, I'd like to note here that every night, Robbie likes to have a new theme for bath time. This night was a "red" bath night.
Dumping his toys out of the tub
Loving being on his back
Listening to Daddy sing
After bath time, I gave Meo a massage (or attempted to as he crawled around like a mad man). Then I read him the first half Dr. Suess's Happy Birthday to You! book before he started wandering around again. Daddy picked up where I left off and they finished the book together.
Reading Dr. Suess's Happy Birthday to You!
Getting antsy again
lounged
Bed time was fast approaching (well actually, it was long past I suppose), so we let Meo crawl around our room to get out his last bits of energy.
Climbing on Mommy

What an amazing and wonderful boy we have! Robbie and I love our little Mattimeo so much, and I was so happy to have spent such a fun filled day together. Looks like being one will indeed be so much fun. Happy birthday Mattimeo! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment