Friday, August 10, 2012

Sleeping in the tiniest of beds

Last night was kind of rough. Mattimeo was sleeping with us and kept waking up crying; which he never does. Every once in a while he would let out a little toot, so I attributed the cries to gas pains. I tried to help him alleviate any discomfort by doing some yoga poses I know help with that sort of thing. But that only pissed him off because he was really tired and WANTED TO GO TO SLEEP. So, I just kept nursing him back to sleep, over and over. Somewhere around 4 or 5 we decided to give him some baby Tylenol just in case he was teething or if it was from his vaccinations early this week, and to change his diaper in case he was uncomfortable because it was so wet. Well, that woke him up, and this time he was super excited to be awake. He wanted to play! He crawled all around the bed, all over us, and eventually started pulling things off my bureau that he knows are off limits (he watches me as he does it with a look like, "Will I get away with it this time?"

No, Meo, you will not.

So I calmly pulled the objects from his hands before he could toss them as I said, "not for Meo", and carefully set him on the ground. There, he has endless possibilities. He has numerous board books and toys to play with in a complete baby friendly environment. My hope was he would play for a while independently so I could rest for another half hour perhaps. But Meo had other plans. He just cruised back and forth along the edge of our bed whimpering for me to pick him back up. So I did, hoping he had a change of heart and really wanted to sleep. Nope, back to being tornado Meo.

I set him down again, this time grabbing my pillows and heaving myself off the bed before he could start whimpering and settled down onto his tiny crib mattress that we keep on the floor. I tucked myself in with his tiny comforter; my legs all curled and scrunched. My new goal was to rest for a little while in the tiny bed while Meo played and had the freedom to crawl around on top of me if he so chose.

Turns out he chose climbing onto me would be most fun, and soon curled up next to me, pulled open my night-gown and nursed himself to sleep. A couple hours later I woke up to Robbie's alarm in the tiny bed, with my tiny boy snoring sweetly in my arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment