I signed Mattimeo up for his very first music class, which began when he was 13 months old and is now ending at 15 months. A bit young for a music class? I don't think so. Mattimeo loves music. I play a variety music for him all the time while we are home, ranging from Classical to Indie, from African drumming to Celtic, from Disney to Jazz. We dance together and separately, we sing, and I have a basket full of instruments for him to explore. Sometimes I play little clarinet concerts for him or pluck on the guitar (I am only a beginner at guitar, but I've played clarinet since 5th grade through part of college). We even have a drum that we slap out beats on every once in a while. My point is that music is a big part of Meo's life, and an important part. I feel like the more exposure he has to music, the better. So I looked into music classes for babies and found the
Little Music Maker in Portland. Our friend Sarah had been bringing Carter since he was tiny and loved it, so we decided to sign up for a session.
Music class has been fantastic. There is certainly never a lack of stimulation. The teacher, Ellie Chase, is a talented singer and instrumentalist, and is very energetic and jovial with her teaching. The class is for babies aged 0-4, and follows a similar structure each week. While listening to the same songs and doing the same sorts of activities each week might not be incredibly engaging for an adult, it is very desirable for babies and toddlers. I think having a little bit of predictably to each class helps the babies to relax enough to participate. Otherwise the class might be too overwhelming for that age group. I know it probably would have been too much for Meo if there was no routine. As Meo seems to be going through a bit of a shy/attachment phase (or maybe this is just his personality now, I'm not really sure), he was getting a little overwhelmed by all that was going on in music class. Some classes, he spent the entire first half hour clinging to me or begging to be nursed/comforted. He would always warm up to the class before the end, but I imagine if their had been no familiarities each week, it would had been too much for him to adjust too.
 |
| Meo observing from the sidelines in music class for a bit |
 |
| Sitting with mommy and having fun in music class |
What exactly goes on in a baby music class? Well, allow me to elaborate. At the beginning of class we all sing a series of greeting songs. These songs involve passing a soft ball around and singing he babies name, playing peek-a-boo, and singing about what each baby is wearing. The songs are sung to familiar tunes, so it is easy for the parents to learn the lyrics too and sing along. Singing the babies' names catches their attention and helps them feel involved and welcome.
 |
| Opening songs with Mia and Carter |
 |
| Opening songs |
 |
| Opening songs |
 |
| Opening songs |
Then Ellie switches up the order of what she does, but always covers the following activities )at least in the particular class session...I cannot speak for other class sessions or future sessions):
-Takes out a box full of rhythm instruments for the babies to reach into and discover while we listen to music.
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Rhythm box exploration |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Braden and Meo exploring something they found in the rhythm box |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Carter with a maraca |
 |
| Braden with some rhythm instruments |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
 |
| Reaching into the rhythm box |
-Play with the big drum in the center of the room
 |
| Carter playing the drums |
 |
| Playing the drum |
 |
| Playing the drum |
-Takes out a violin case full of egg shakers for the babies to pull out and shake to silly songs
 |
| Meo watching Ellie shake eggs |
 |
| Meo watching Ellie shake eggs |
 |
| Egg shaking |
 |
| Egg holding |
 |
| Happy Meo shaking some eggs |
 |
| Egg collecting |
 |
| Egg shaking time |
 |
| Egg juggling |
-Plays fun songs on her guitar
-Sings songs from various children's' books
 |
| Meo loves listening to Ellie sing books |
 |
| Story time |
 |
| Listening to story time |
 |
| Story time |
-Takes out a basket of colorful scarves for everyone to pick up and dance around with
 |
| Meo watching Ellie spin with her scarves |
 |
| Meo and Conor covered in scarves |
 |
| Playing with scarves |
 |
| Scarf time! |
 |
| Ellie throwing scarves up for the babies |
 |
| Meo playing with scarves |
 |
| Scarves! |
 |
| Meo with some scarves |
-Hold out a big rainbow cloth over the babies heads (with the help of a parent volunteer) for the babies to watch and play under while listening to music
 |
| Under the rainbow cloth |
Other things that Ellie does that I really like is that she sings a clean-up song in between activities to help the babies know that they need to let go of their fun toys and transition to the next activity. I don't think I've ever heard a baby cry in class because they didn't want to give something up, and I am positive the songs help. Ellie also has a series of good-bye songs to end class with. Again, these incorporate the babies names, which helps give them closure and be active participants. She also has a copy of all the songs we use in class available for purchase so you can listen to it at home/in the car.
 |
| Ellie, the music teacher, snuggling one of the babies |
Meo and I have really enjoyed this music class and I really think it was a good investment. I love that Meo was exposed to lots of different instruments, had the opportunity to be around a bunch of his peers/friends to explore music with and interact with, heard singing from someone other than mommy and daddy, and hear music that he otherwise might not have been exposed to. Not only that, but I learned a lot of great songs that I find myself singing to Meo at home all the time. Even though Meo was content to sit in my lap some of the time, he was still observing and taking everything in. And when Meo was feeling confident to participate, it made me so happy to see his huge grin as he shook an egg or danced around the room with me. Having Meo go to music classes is something I hope to continue from here on out!
 |
| So much to take in at music class! |
To conclude this post, here are some photos from an especially fun Halloween week music class:
 |
| Dino Carter and Cow Meo drumming |
 |
| Daddy got to check out a music class too! |
 |
| Cowbell shaking! |
 |
| Checking out this bumble bee Conor |
 |
| Braden the golfer |
 |
| Conor the bumble bee |
 |
| Attempt to take a group photo with Ellie |
we also really enjoy music class! your photos really represent all that we do and the babies over the several weeks we were in class.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Jasmin, for this thorough and complimentary account of your experience! I'm blushing, but also very grateful!
ReplyDeleteLook forward to having you and Meo in January! Happy Thanksgiving and winter celebrations!
-Ellie (aka: The Little Music Maker)