Thursday, February 21, 2013

Presidents Day Hike

This Monday was Presidents Day and Robbie had it off from work, so we wanted to do something fun. We decided we wanted to take our snowshoes out for a hike. Initially we thought to go to the White Mountains, but decided we didn't want to drive several hours. Instead, Robbie found a small hiking trail only a half hour from our house and as that sounded much more appealing, off we went.

Napping on the way to Bald Pate Mountain

The mountain we ended up at was called Bald Pate Mountain. The land encompassing this little mountain was only recently preserved so it is not a well known trail. It had lovely fresh markers and nice trails though, and we enjoyed our experience there immensely. There is nothing quite like a little fresh mountain air and a dose of exercise to cleanse your body after a bout of sickness. It was a much needed hike!










Along the trail we saw a substantial number of animal tracks. It was pretty unbelievable how many paths we crossed! I loved it, and excitedly photographed the tracks as I was excited to identify them with my field guide once I got home.








We actually hiked up two summits. The first is more of a false summit, but had the best view I think. It was on top of a big cliff, so there were no trees obscuring the view of massive Sebago Lake and the distant mountain range.

Robbie and Meo on the first summit

Up a steep-ish climb (it was a challenge with snowshoes but most definitely doable and enjoyable), we made it to the true summit. The mountain is short enough that you are still well below the treeline, but high enough that you get a bit of that alpine ecosystem. I just love alpine plants, and couldn't oogle enough at the cool, knarly conifers that greeted us at the summit.







On the summit of Bald Pate Mountain

On the summit of Bald Pate Mountain

Can you believe how blue the sky was??



Robbie and Meo signing the log book on the summit

The moon

"No photographs please"

Apparently this is the most flattering shot Robbie took of me on the summit :)

We took a different path on the way down; one that looped around the back of the mountain and eventually reconnected with our original path. This path was more gentle and gradual, so it was nice for going down safely. Robbie and I were fascinated by the tightly knit young birch stand we passed through on the way down. There must had been a fire there in the not too distant path because this young forest was incredibly dense and it was really cool to walk through.


Densely packed trees

Going down

Mr. Meo got hungry on the way down, so we stopped to nurse on a fallen tree. I constantly find myself grateful for the portability and convenience of breastfeeding. I couldn't help feel a little more connected with the woodlands as I nursed my sweet Meo in the most natural of ways.

Nursing in the wood

Robbie and I were both very tired, but much refreshed after our little Presidents Day hike. I am glad Bald Pate Mountain is close to us, I hope to visit it lots more in our future.

Meo stretching his legs a bit

No comments:

Post a Comment