Have I mentioned how much I love being a mom? Well I just love it. And it just keeps getting better. I remember thinking when he was a newborn how wonderful it was and being worried that as he got older I would struggle. Miraculously, it has only gotten easier. And Mattimeo is just SO MUCH FUN. He's nearly always happy and has the best silly faces and belly laugh. And when he is being naughty and smirks, I have to hide my face because it impossible for me not to smile or giggle at him, no matter how much I disapprove (I think I have to work on this). Anyways, I think holidays are especially fun because be get to be especially crazy.
I have a bit of Irish in me from my mom's side of the family, which is probably where Meo and I get our fieriness/spunk from. It also probably why I have such a love of Irish music and have so much enjoyment improvising with a penny whistle. I know traditionally the day is to celebrate St. Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, but it is also to celebrate Irish culture and heritage, and that's what we celebrated today.
To celebrate, one of the things we a couple music sessions with Meo's music basket. I improvised some silly Irish sounding music on the penny whistle while Meo and Robbie had fun playing a variety of percussion instruments. This morning when we had our first music session, I was singing "Do Re Me" to Meo and noticed that he was singing along. So we took this video to share with you. This 19th month of life has been musical in that for the first time, Mattimeo has really been starting to sing. Not just nonsensical stuff, but real words in the proper tune...usually just one or two words at a time. It's so cool.
Another thing we did was make a big bowl of popcorn (complete with butter dyed green) and watched the animated Irish film called "The Secret of Kells". It was a beautiful film about how some Irish monks came about creating The Book of Kells, which is a illumination of the Gospel in Latin. It is not per-say a St. Patrick's Day movie, but it was full of Irish culture and all three of us enjoyed it immensely.
"What are you doing Dad??"
hint o' green popcorn
Watching "The Secret of Kells" with our green popcorn
For dinner we had angel hair pasta, summer squash and zucchini fried with a little elephant garlic, topped with a homemade cheese sauce. Normally we buy alfredo sauce from the store, but Robbie forgot it when he went shopping with Meo for the week, so I ended up making some. This presented me with the opportunity to give our meal a bit of Irish zing as I colored the cheese sauce green. It was both interesting and fun to eat.
For some reason, Meo was scooting on the floor on his back while we made dinner
Our St. Patrick's Day dinner
Enlightened.
Here is a video of Meo and I when we were finishing up dinner. I live in a house of boys, and laughing at the word "toot" seems to be all the rage. Have I mentioned that sometimes after Meo says the word "toot" he actually tries to push a toot out and often succeeds? Oh boy.
After dinner we had some more fun making music, and then listened to some upbeat traditional Irish music and danced like crazy in the living room. Even Meo was a dancing fool, and we were all laughing and out of breath by the end of it. Meo was quite ready to enjoy a nice, relaxing bath to prepare him for bed.
For Christmas, my parents had bought him some little colored tablets that you put in the bath to change the bath color. We hadn't used any yet and decided to try them out so he could have a very green bath time. Robbie put in a blue and a yellow tablet and we all watched as the water turned a brilliant green. Me started poking at it with his foot, a little unsure why his bath was turning green. But he enjoyed it! He had all his green bath toys too.
Making green
Making green
Tickle
We had a green and happy Saint Patrick's Day over here at the Robinson's, and we hope that you had fun as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment