Thursday, June 4, 2015

Swim Class (Link's first class ever and Meo's first class without a parent)

Link had his very first swim class this spring (age 16 months-17 months old) and Mattimeo had his very first swim class without a parent in the pool with him (age 3.5). Overall, both boys really love playing in the water and enjoyed their class tremendously, but they both had their moments (as you will see)!

3/15/2015

This was the first time Link was in a big pool. I had a bad feeling as soon as he started freaking out when I had my bathing suit on in the locker room and he didn't want me to hold him. Link NEVER doesn't want me to hold him so I think he must not have liked my bathing suit or something. Who knows. But he continued to be stressed out and upset in the pool. Poor guy cried and looked worried the whole time I was in their with him.




Eventually I gave up and asked Robbie if he wanted to try. For whatever reason, Link was perfectly happy with Robbie and was content for the rest of class!





I was going to do the swim lessons with Link and Robbie was going to do lessons with Meo (because we didn't realize we weren't going to be allowed in the pool with Meo). But I had a feeling Robbie would be doing Link's swim lessons after all. Meo did a great job of sitting on the side and waiting for his class to begin.






Our good friend Marilla was also having her first swim class, so it was really sweet that they were able to share that experience together.




When I found out that Meo was going to be in class all by himself, I was a little bit worried but confident enough that he could handle it. And he did! He loved being by himself; I think it made him feel strong and proud. I loved seeing his big smiles as he practiced scooting back and forth across the pool.


Link was also very patient while we waited for Meo's swim class to be all done.












3/22/2015















Marilla and her Daddy waiting for Mama to get changed.


Part of this class was trying to swim without being held up but the dumbbells (just floaty squares on their backs).  They called it "superman glides" by Meo referred to it as "the sinking time". This part of class really stressed him out and eventually became his downfall. He didn't really have a great concept of scooping and kicking so he didn't understand what he was supposed to do to get to his barbell and he felt like he was sinking even though the teacher was right there. I think if he had been instructed a little better in how to kick and scoop and not forced to flail about through his tears that he would have been fine. But each class he became a little more fearful, and eventually in the last class he wouldn't even go in the water until I went in with him and had the teacher promise him they wouldn't do superman glides that class.



But the rest of class Mattimeo really loved! He loved the bunny hops around the edge of the pool, and playing and practicing. He just needs to develop a little more skills and have the free swim approached in a more gentle way I think. That's why we decided to stop going to this place for swim class and are going to try someplace new in the fall after Meo has some time to recover and not feel so worried about swim class any more.









3/29/2015

Link was adorable in swim class of course. He had so much fun and was learning lots. I feel bad that we are stopping lessons for him too, but it doesn't make sense for us to stay home each weekend just for his class when soon enough he will be able to play in the water in our little pool and at the beach. I am looking forward to seeing him in the pool again this fall though because I think he will be a great little swimmer one day.


















4/19/2015











4/26/2015









Marilla is such a happy girl!





5/3/2015

On Link's last class I decided to go in with him again to see if he'd let me. Thankfully he did, and we had so much fun!



I love my squishy little Linky Loo!


So even though we probably won't be going back to the same place for lessons because we want to be absolutely sure that any experience in water is positive for the boys (so many kids develop a fear of water for life!), I am still really glad that we had these lessons. They both learned a lot, had fun, and gained more confidence around the water. It will help me to know what they are and are not capable of when we go places to swim this summer. And we will look forward to starting them back up on lessons again this fall. Maybe we will go to the YMCA so Mama can get in some laps too!

No comments:

Post a Comment