Sunday, June 5, 2016

Beaver Dam

There is a trail that we were unaware of until recently that we've begun to explore. It's pretty cool because a mile down there is a beach that we are allowed to swim on. But not too far down the trail we also discovered a beaver dam. I've been really geeking out about this beaver dam. It's formed a pond in the middle of the forest and you can see all sorts of trees that have died from being flooded. The beavers have been busy using the wood from the trees to build their dam and lodge. The first time we went out I couldn't find the lodge. But we went back out today to see if we could find the lodge and beavers. We found the lodge, but I think my little boys are far too noisy for any beavers to show themselves. I'll have to go out sometime on my own to see if I can spot one.

Here is the dam:


And here is the lodge:



Here is the forest being transformed into a pond:



And here are my sort of helpful naturalists in training:





No comments:

Post a Comment