Thursday, June 23, 2011

Set course for the birth of Mattimeo... Engage!

Captain Jean Luc Picard saying his infamous line, "Engage!"

So it seems that Mattimeo has officially "dropped" otherwise known as engaged (at 35 weeks). Yesterday when I was walking the dogs I noticed that I was a lot less breathless going up the giant staircase coming from the eastern prom, and I felt like my legs were coming in contact with my belly as I lifted my knees to climb. I was also getting a little bit of pain on the sides of my belly like I used to when I first started showing and needed to use a belt to help hold my belly while my ligaments stretched out. Today I noticed the same things: more acute achyness on my sides while walking dogs, feeling like I was bumping into the baby whenever I went up and down any stairs, and overall a lot less breathlessness. My Mom walked with me today and commented about how much energy I had. I also have noticed that the lowest part of my belly is a lot more swollen and puffy now, and I feel like the baby is resting in my lap when I sit cross-legged. In yoga, while this was the first week I had to stop doing inversions because they stopped feeling good, I was able to do some reclined poses, which I haven't been able to do in a while because the baby usually squishes my lungs and makes me feel nauseous. My yoga instructor thought that he looked like he dropped down. When I got home, I told Robbie and had him inspect me. He noticed a big difference. There is so much more space between my breasts and the beak of my belly. So I guess the baby is engaged! I am not sure what this means as far as how soon he will be born, my books say that is usually a sign that it will be within 2-3 weeks with first time moms, but I've read that it still takes longer than that for some people. I guess I will find out more when I got to my midwife appointment next week.

Whatever it means, it's definitely a sign that the end is approaching and soon I will be taking care of a very tiny person...crazy! I feel like I should start packing a bag for the hospital just in case, even if it won't be for a very long time yet.

2 comments:

  1. oh little mattimeo -- i'm so excited to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grammy cant wait ti see you too! love you!! xoxo!

    ReplyDelete