Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

I have been feeling a little more introverted lately. Yes, I think that's the word I'm looking for. I have been enjoying the quite time that I have been having with myself: reading, walking, doing yoga, and thinking. Lately I find that while I'm doing yoga, some positioning exercise for the baby, or just resting while my body is busy feeling nauseated or dealing with practice contractions, my mind sort of drifts off. I won't be particularly thinking about anything; everything just gets sort of soft and I feel like I'm peacefully floating in my own little cloud that gently moves with my breath. This has been happening more and more frequently. For instance, last night I was having a lot of contractions. They lasted about 3 hours, and although sometimes they were close together, other times they were 10-15 minutes apart. We were both excited; we are eager for the baby to be born. Robbie was so cute; I was resting after dinner while he graciously washing the dishes, when he peaked into the room and said, "Maybe I'm after I'm done the dishes and I put the trash and recycling out, I'll pack the rest of the hospital bags?" (The bags are packed, but we have a list of things we are still using to add at the last minute). I told him its probably too early to be thinking about that. Soon after I felt myself completely drift off, where I was still conscious enough to press the start and stop button on the Iphone contractions app I was using, but blissfully in my own little world. Robbie and I took a walk a little while later after it stopped raining, and I found that I had trouble paying attention to our conversation. Robbie didn't mind though, he thinks its great that I am able to fall into this harmonious state without even trying. I am peacefully observing the changes in my body, the feelings I am having, and the flow of my breath without feeling any sense of worry or feeling like I need to be in control. This makes me happy. I hope that when labor really starts that I will continue to be able to trust my body and stay calm because it is such a wonderfully peaceful feeling.

I am floating effortlessly on a calm sea,
knowing that a storm is coming
and my life will never be the same,
yet I am confident that I will not drown
so long as I don't struggle against the waves.

3 comments:

  1. this is beautiful, jasmin. i'm so glad you're so relaxed and peaceful in this time -- and meo will be the rainbow after the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren! Yes, I'm sure he will be :) It will end up being a good day no matter what happens because we'll finally get to see him

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a beautiful post - very hypnobirth-like. You are ready!

    ReplyDelete