Our cat, Theta, is obsessed with water. To the point of ridiculousness. Once when he was a kitten I thought it would be a good idea to turn the faucet on while he was in the sink. Turns out he loved the fresh water, and ever since he has been obsessed with drinking from the sink. If we go to the bathroom, he races in there and jumps in the sink and meows at the faucet. When we take showers, he stands up along the side and paws at our arms until we let him lick the water from our fingers. For a while I had a water bottle that I would have to unscrew a cap to drink from. One night I thought it would be a good idea (as you see I am full of these) to pour a little water into the cap for him. Turns out, I could never drink from that water bottle without him meowing at me and trying to tip water out from it (we started calling the cap his "chalice"). Thankfully I have a new water bottle now that doesn't have that kind of cap. He also loves to drink from our water glasses. We have to constantly pick them up and move them away from him if we don't want our beverages to smell like fish (he gets mild fish breath from his salmon cat food). Theta really is obsessed. Unfortunately, he doesn't like drinking from a water bowl. So to solve this problem, Robbie and I invested in a water fountain for them. This keeps the water constantly flowing and filters it as it pours down into the basin so that it is always fresh. We are always cleaning it and adding fresh water to it too because he gets most excited to drink from it when it is really fresh. The water fountain is great because it encourages both cats to drink more which keeps them healthier. Fortunately he has been really good about drinking from his fountain all the time, but he is still obsessed with trying to get water from all other sources as well (although we don't allow him to drink from the sink anymore).
 |
| The type of water fountain we have for our cats |
This morning, my good friend Lauren came and went for a nice long walk with me to the east end beach and back. I go crazy if I don't walk or exercise everyday, and it's always so much more fun to exercise with a friend (thanks for coming Lauren!). When I got back I decided to drink a big glass of water, since its so important for me to stay super hydrated right now. Theta, of course, was really excited at this prospect. He chased me over to the sink, stood up against the counter and meowed at me while I got my water. I decided that I didn't want to deal with him trying to drink from my glass every time I put it down, so I took out a glass for him and filled it with water. I put it down on the ground for him and he drank enthusiastically. But when I left to bring my water over to the computer to drink while I checked my email, he ran after me and jumped on the desk to try to drink my water. I went to go get his glass and brought it onto my desk too and that seemed to please him. But after a while he started trying to get to my water too. I think he like the sound the ice made clinking on the glass...it certainly sounds more refreshing to me! So I donated one of my ice cubes to his glass and he finally left my glass alone. This is the kind of water drama I deal with everyday. It's a good thing he is cute, or he would drive me crazy. But I love him too much to really be bothered by his silliness.
 |
| Theta finally is satisfied with his glass of water |
I find that Zoidberg is the same way in all aspects. Joe hates that I let him drink out of my glass but he has since he was a baby and he is really good about backing off if I gently place my hand on his chest, which is great. It can be annoying sometimes as he also LOVES water in motion and tries to get the glass to move the water if it is still. He does this to his water dish too, which thankfully is spill proof (yay puppy bowls when he was a kitten :))!
ReplyDeleteI've remedied his obsession a little by tossing ice in his water dish which both entertains him and makes the water move a little when he licks. Helps when I need a glass of water all to my self sometimes. <3