Friday, July 22, 2011

Heat Wave!

It has been so hot these past few days, holy cow! My mom told me today that it was the hottest day we've had since 1975! Robbie and I saw the time and temperature building read 103 this morning...I have a feeling it got even hotter than that this afternoon. It's been challenging trying to stay cool and hydrated. Fortunately we live near lots of awesome beaches and have access to the pool at the YMCA. Yesterday mom and I took a 1.25 mile walk around Mackworth Island then swam in the ocean. Today Robbie and I went to Bard's Coffee (where they immediately greeted us with "Welcome to air conditioning") to read and drink some delicious iced beverages. Then we bought some cheap boogie boards and headed over to Crescent Beach State Park to float around in the very cold ocean.

Me at Mackworth Island (39 weeks and 4 days pregnant)

Me at Mackworth Island (39 weeks and 4 days pregnant)

Someones dog also appreciated the AC at Bard's Coffee today!

Unfortunately, it has been really hot in our apartment, and the poor cats have nowhere to go to escape the heat. Theta has been laying in the bathroom next to the toilet or in the living room under the ceiling fan for the most part. Even though Theta is poofier, he seems to be handling the heat better than Pi. Pi has been lying behind the rocking chair, under the ceiling fan in the living room, or under the ceiling fan on the dining room table. The poor guy looks like he is dying. We have wiped him down a couple times with a cool wash cloth and even brought them both down to our unfinished basement to hang out and cool off while we read. We were supposed to play board games at our house tonight, but we recruited Gib to host in his cool, basement apartment instead because I can't imagine how much hotter it would get with the addition of 7 more people here. The fans at least make it bearable for the two of us.

Pi and Theta under the ceiling fan in the living room

Theta is quite handsome and spunky despite the heat

Theta being a pest and drinking from my cup even though he has a water fountain

Pi stretched under the ceiling fan in the kitchen

Poor cat looks like he is dying

Poor hot Pi guy

Theta passed out by the toilet

I can't believe my due date is in just a couple days...Mattimeo should be here anytime now! Thank goodness they have air-conditioning in the Birthplace!

2 comments:

  1. poor pi, and theta. fill the tub up with cool water, you can have a pool party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was talking w/ Andrew about how I was glad you didn't want to have a home birth in this heat, and that the hospital had A/C. I'm hoping to get some swimming in on Macworth today...I can't wait for things to cool down tomorrow. Poor Pi and Theta...we've been giving Basil and Pepper ice cubes and they love them.

    ReplyDelete