Friday, January 6, 2012

Lullabies

Many babies love to be sung to as they drift off to sleep. Mattimeo is no exception. Holding him close and gently petting him while softly singing a lullaby is a special time that I already treasure. We have several favorite lullabies currently, and I thought I would share them with you.

First is one that I began singing daily to Mattimeo when he was just a tiny speck of cells in my womb and continue singing to him today:

Dodo, l'enfant do

Dodo, l'enfant do,
L'enfant dormira bien vite
Dodo, l'enfant do
L'enfant dormira bientôt.

Une poule blanche
Est là dans la grange.
Qui va faire un petit coco
Pour l'enfant qui va fair' dodo.

Dodo, l'enfant do,
L'enfant dormira bien vite
Dodo, l'enfant do
L'enfant dormira bientôt.

Tout le monde est sage
Dans le voisinage
Il est l'heure d'aller dormir
Le sommeil va bientôt venir.

Translated in English this roughly means:

Lullaby, Child, Lullaby

Lullaby, child, lullaby
The child will quickly go to sleep
Lullaby, child, lullaby
The child will soon be asleep.

A white hen
Is there in the barn
It will lay an egg
For the child who's going to sleep.

Lullaby, child, lullaby
The child will quickly go to sleep
Lullaby, child, lullaby
The child will soon be asleep.

Everybody's good
In the neighborhood
It's time to go to sleep
Very soon you'll be asleep.

 
Another song that I enjoy singing him is the Lullaby from Lady and the Tramp:

 La La Loo
 
La, la, loo
La, la, loo
Oh my little star sweeper
I'll sweep the stardust for you

La, la, loo
La, la, loo
Little soft, fluffy sleeper
Here comes a pink cloud for you

La, la, loo
La, la, loo
Little wandering angel
Fold up your wings
Close your eyes

La, la, loo
La, la, loo
And may love be your keeper

La, la, loo
La, la, loo
La, la, loo


Robbie also likes to sing the French song, Dodo l'enfant do, but he has his own special song that he sometimes sings. I am not overly fond of the lyrics (this momma ain't goin' away no time soon), but it sounds really sweet and it's lovely to hear him sing it:

Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby
By Emmylou Harris, Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch

go to sleep little babe
go to sleep little babe

your momma's gone away and your daddy's gonna stay
didn't leave nobody but the baby

go to sleep little babe
go to sleep little babe

everybody's gone in the cotton and the corn
didn't leave nobody but the baby

you're a sweet little babe
you're a sweet little babe

honey in the rock and the sugar don't stop
gonna bring a bottle to the baby

don't you weep pretty babe
don't you weep pretty babe

she's long gone with her red shoes on
gonna need another loving babe

go to sleep little babe
go to sleep little babe

you and me and the devil makes three
don't need no other lovin' babe

go to sleep little babe
go to sleep little babe

come lay bones on the alabaster stones
and be my everlovin baby


My mom just found her own special song for little Meo. My mom really loves the show The Big Bang Theory and has gotten Robbie and I hooked on it too. She bought us the first season at the end of my pregnancy to watch during my recovery, and now we have all four seasons on DVD and enjoy watching it after Meo falls asleep. We all like it so much that we have started calling her Mema instead of Grammy like we originally intended to do. The song my mom likes to sing is from the show and Meo loves hearing it (also we are big fans of cats in this house):

Soft Kitty

Soft kitty, warm kitty
little ball of fur
happy kitty, sleepy kitty,
purr purr purr


Finally, a lullaby that I really love but only sing on occasion is the River Lullaby from The Prince of Egypt:

River Lullaby

Hush now, my baby
Be still love, don't cry
Sleep like you're rocked by the stream
Sleep and remember
My lullaby
And I'll be with you when you dream

Drift on a river
That flows through my arms
Drift as I'm singing to you
I see you smiling
So peaceful and calm
And holding you, I'm smiling, too
Here in my arms
Safe from all harm
Holding you, I'm smiling, too

Hush now, my baby
Be still, love, don't cry
Sleep like you're rocked by the stream
Sleep and remember this river lullaby
And I'll be with you when you dream
I'll be with you when you dream


What are your favorite lullabies?

No comments:

Post a Comment