Over the course of the morning, I nursed my one cup of coffee, and over a period of an hour, that coffee nursed me back to health. In the meantime, my ten month old was a very busy boy. Let’s just say that I am glad that coffee helped me feel better, otherwise I would have had one hellish morning. Instead, it was fun to see him explore and get excited about the messes he was making. If you aren’t aware of the kind of trouble a ten month old can make, please let me enlighten you. In less than one hour, Mattimeo:
1. Tossed his plate on the ground and got raisin bread and strawberries all over himself, the high chair and the floor.
2. Found the cats’ water fountain and splashed around in it for a bit.
3. Found the cats’ food dish (I thought I blocked the area off, but apparently not well enough) and proceed to try to stuff handfuls of kibbles into his mouth. Hopefully his vegetarian digestive system is up to the challenge.
![]() |
| See you again soon, cat food. |
4. Climbed up onto the trash can and started pulling apart the trash bag.
5. Climbed up onto the dishwasher and pulled the rack off while I was emptying it.
6. Climbed up onto a cupboard and knocked down all the travel coffee cup lids. He did this twice this morning.
7. Got into the Tupperware drawer and pulled out lots and lots of Tupperware.
8. Got a hold of the kitchen rug and proceed to gather it up and jam out on it like it was a drum.
9. Used the stove to stand up (thank goodness the oven wasn’t on).
10. Started pulling out laundry from the basket while I was folding.
As you can see, we had a very busy morning. While sometimes it is a nuisance to pick up after his messes, I like to give Mattimeo a lot of freedom to explore his surroundings. He has so much fun! I can tell when he is excited about something he is going to do because he makes cute little squealing/laughing noises as he quickly crawls over to his destination. He also has the most adorable mischievous look when he is doing something fun but slightly naughty. We have all the dangerous stuff blocked off or latched shut, so I’m pretty comfortable letting him do his thing, though I still always keep an eye on him. I think it’s great for his development. Plus it’s refreshing not having to hover over him telling him “no” all the time.






This reminds me so much of Grace. She's into everything, too. Her favorite thing is pulling laundry out of the laundry basket, but her new thing is that she puts it back in after she takes it all out, along with anything else nearby... we've ended up with some strange things mixed in with the laundry!
ReplyDeleteHaha, Leah, that's so funny! Mattimeo doesn't know how to put things into other things yet, but he is an expert on taking them out. I was thinking it would be really cool when he could put stuff back, bit you made me realize he would only put things back where he wanted and it would make things even more chaotic hehe!
Delete