![]() |
| "I did it" |
Background
I have never been a good runner. When I was in school, I used to play softball and field hockey, and I would run to get into shape for those. But it was usually never more than a couple miles, and that was always hard for me. I could run for a long time while I was playing field hockey, but that's just because I had something driving me to run; competitiveness. In college, I would occasionally have spurts where I would attempt to jog regularly. These were usually sporadic jogging sessions and never really lasted too long. I tended to enjoy biking and hiking more for exercise. Then, in graduate school and beyond I started going to the gym and found that running on a treadmill was a little easier for me to get into. That may seem strange given how much I love being outside. But the fact of the matter is the most difficult part of running for me is the mental part of it. When I am outside, I think too much about how far I've gone, and how far I have to go to get back. Outside, it is easy for me to day dream and slow down and lose track of what I am trying to accomplish. On a treadmill, I have all sorts of flashy lights telling me how fast I am going and how long I have left. I have the ability to chose when I want to go up an incline. I can see how many calories I am burning. I don't have to worry about running back home; only stepping off and hopping in the shower. For me, running inside worked better for my need-to-organize-and-chart-my-progress brain. So that's what I did a lot. I ran on a treadmill, trying to increase the amount of time I would run. I would also swim laps in the pool, bike, row, and even do a little weight training to switch things up. I did this off and on up to my second trimester of pregnancy, but to be honest, it did not make me a runner. It is easy to get bored on a treadmill, and its easy to not make progress.
I did a lot of walking, swimming and yoga while I was pregnant with Meo, and then after I continued walking and doing yoga regularly. But boy oh boy, is it hard to lose all that baby weight! I was hoping that my daily fast paced walks would help me lose that last 15 pounds, but as the months rolled by, the belly roll wasn't really going anywhere. This was annoying because I really do prefer walking to running, and we no longer have a gym membership so I am unable to get to a treadmill/pool/weight set to work out like I really wanted. But I was so sick of feeling blah, I decided to do something about it. I decided that, once again, I would try to make myself a runner.
My Running Program
After hearing a couple of success stories from my friends, I decided to try out the "Couch to 5K" program. This program is designed to ease you into being able to run a 5K (approximately 30 minutes) without stopping by alternating between walking and running. Over a period of 8 weeks, you gradually begin to have longer running intervals and shorter/less frequent walking intervals until finally you aren't walking at all.
The Ease into 5K Training Plan:
Week 1
Total Workout Time: 26:30 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Follow with 3 sets of the following intervals:
Run 30 seconds
Walk 45 seconds
Run 45 seconds
Walk 60 seconds
Run 60 seconds
Walk 90 seconds
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 2
Total Time: 33:15 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do 3 sets of the following intervals:
Run 45 seconds
Walk 60 seconds
Run 60 seconds
Walk 90 seconds
Run 90 seconds
Walk 2 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 3
Total Workout: 27:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do 2 sets of the following
Run 3 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 90 seconds
Walk 2 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 4
Workout Time: 31:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do the following:
Run 4 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 6 minutes
Walk 3 minute
Run 4 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 5 — Day 1
Workout Time: 34:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do the following:
Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 4 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 4 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 5 — Day 2
Workout Time: 28 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do the following.
Run 6 minutes
Walk 1 minutes
Run 4 minutes
Walk 1 minute
Run 6 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 5 — Day 3
Workout Time: 30 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do the following.
Run 9 minutes
Walk 2 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Walk 2 minute
Run 2 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 6 — Day 1
Workout Time: 31 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do the following:
Run 9 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 9 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 6 — Day 2
Workout Time: 30 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 20 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 6 — Day 3
Workout Time: 38:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do sets of the following.
Run 15 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 10 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 7 — Day 1
Workout Time: 38:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk. Then do one set of the following.
Run 20 minutes
Walk 3 minutes
Run 5 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 7 — Day 2
Workout Time: 36:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 26 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 7 — Day 3
Workout time: 37:00
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 27 minutes
Cool down with 5 minute walk
Week 8 — Day 1
Workout Time: 38:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 28 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 8 — Days 2
Workout Time: 39:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 29 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
Week 8 — Day 3
Workout Time: 40:00 minutes
Brisk 5 minute warm-up walk.
Run 30 minutes
Cool-down with a 5 minute walk.
I loved this program. It was exactly the sort of push I needed to get running. I had a clear end goal and reasonable steps to follow to get to that point. The program was only 3 days a week, which was just manageable for me. I like to run alone, which means someone has to watch Meo for me for 30-40 minutes while I'm out running. I think this would have been difficult if the program had me running more frequently. I liked the journal function of the app (Ease into 5K) I used. The program allowed me to listen to music while keeping track of how far I was running, duration, how many calories I was burning, and my average run and walk speeds. I could record how I felt after each session, and it graphed my progress (weight loss, distance ran, run speed, etc.). It even mapped out my runs so I could look back and see where I went. For my organizational mind, having all these functions was fantastic. I loved looking at the graphs and seeing how I was progressing. Also motivational was being able to share my progress with friends and family. Having people give me encouragement was a huge push. Thank you all!
Sometimes I found the program really challenging; but that was a good thing I think. In the end, I felt like I really accomplished something. Around week two of the program, my hips really started to hurt. This had never happened to me before, and I attributed it to rebuilding my muscles after childbirth. They hurt so bad that I could barely walk for a couple days at one point, and Robbie told me not to run any more until I was completely healed. So I stopped for a few days, and tried the elliptical for one segment. Eventually, my hips stopped hurting, and I tried running again, this time not pushing myself as much and sticking to a gentle pace. My hips have not hurt since! I finished the program on June 28th. By the end, I was able to run a 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping in just over 29 minutes. It felt wonderful!
An Inspiration
I did not complete this program alone; my father-in-law also did the whole 8 weeks! I remember the first day I started the program; I was so excited when I got back from my run and was showing my in-laws how cool the app was. Later that evening, Robbie's dad told me he downloaded the app. "You know that it is a running program, right?" I asked him, uncertain about his choice. At 54, my father-in-law is a pretty active man. He walks a lot (at a super fast pace with walking sticks) and even hiked to the summit of Mount Washington this summer. He used to run cross-country when he was in high school, but that was long ago, and he hasn't run since I've known him. I know he has bad knees too, and I wasn't sure how this running program would work out for him.
To my amazement, John completed the program the same day as me! At times his knees did get a little sore, but he kept a gentle pace and tried to enjoy each run. He never pushed himself beyond his limits, and turns out, this program worked out really well for him. He hasn't had problems with his knees at all, and he attributes that to strengthened muscles. I am both amazed at and proud of him for setting his mind to do this and actually accomplishing it. It was so much fun to be doing the program together. While we never actually ran together, we always shared how our runs went and cheered each other on. It was nice to have someone to whine to ("Oh man, we have to do a twenty minute run next time?!?!), and have someone to celebrate with at the end of a great run. I think it was a great bonding experience. The best part though was directly after finishing the program, he inspired me to run my first 5K race; something I never thought I would do and something that was on his bucket list. Running won't be in the cards for him long term, because in the end, its really not the best activity for his knees. But for this summer at least, both he and I can call ourselves runners; a wonderful sensation.
![]() |
| My father-in-law after his first 5K |
My first 5K Race
Saturday (June 30th), my father-in-law and I both ran in our first 5K race! Boy was I nervous. I had never liked the race parts of gym growing up, and I had made a point of avoiding races through life. You see, I am pretty competitive, but I have never been a good runner. So racing was always anxious time for me because I didn't enjoy losing but always did. It was always a difficult thing to make peace with. But I thought that running in a 5K race would be a good way to end my training, and I figured that no matter what happened, I would have accomplished something just trying to run a race at all. I had no intention of winning, only to do my best. My goal was to run it under 30 minutes and to not walk at all. Both goals were unreasonable, since they were both things I had done earlier that week.
The race was called the 5K Ridge Run/Walk and the proceeds went towards Equine Journeys, a program that does thearuputic equine activities for individuals with disabilities. This is the third year the race was held. Here is some more information:
When: Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 9:00 A.M.
Where: Ring Farm 551 Upper Ridge Rd., Bridgton, Maine 04009
Race Information: Runners start at 9:00, led by a Bridgton Police cruiser. Walkers start after runners are off. $15.00 entry fee. Registration by June 25th includes a free tee shirt. On race day, extra tee shirts are available for purchase while supplies last. Water available at mile 1 and mile 2. Delicious refreshments free to all runners after the race.
Course Description: Runners start at 9:00 at the starting line in front of Ring Farm on Upper Ridge Road, following a Bridgton Police cruiser. The marked route goes south on Upper Ridge, east on Del Chadbourne, west on Porter Hill Rd. and south on Upper Ridge back to Ring Farm. Take left into Ring Farm and the finish line is at the pasture stone wall beyond riding arena. It’s a fast downhill start with a challenging uphill on mile 2.
Awards: Fastest overall Male/Female runner and fastest overall Masters Male/Female awarded. Largest family group. Oldest and youngest to complete the course.
![]() |
| Ring Farm, where the race was held |
![]() |
| One of the horses with a volunteer |
I have to say, the race environment was motivating. There was all sorts of people there: hard core runners, pleasure runners, people running with strollers and babies, people running with dogs, people intending to walk straight on through. I was still nervous though. Fortunately I had made a great playlist to pump myself up and I both began and ended the race with the Dropkick Murphy's "I'm Shipping Off to Boston".
![]() |
| Conspiring befoer the race |
![]() |
| Getting pumped for my first race! |
![]() |
| Lined up at the start |
![]() |
| "Set, Go!" |
![]() |
| Me starting the race |
![]() |
| Race! |
The race began almost immediately downhill. I knew it was important to conserve energy for the first half of the race, so I tried to keep my pace slow. In retrospect, I probably should have just went as fast as I wanted to go naturally, because I lost a lot of energy just worrying about the dang hill I knew was coming (and had no idea how large or long it would be) at mile two. Where I run at home it is really hilly, so I felt like I might be okay for the oncoming hill. But I was so nervous about it because I had never been to that course before. Well, the hill was really long and I was exhausted three quarters of the way up. So I broke down and had to walk for a tiny bit. Mind you, I walked REALLY FAST, probably faster than I would have jogged up the hill, but I still felt pretty bad about it. I started running again before I reached the crest of the hill, then turned a corner to find what? A bigger fracken hill. Ugh. I ended up walking up part of that stupid hill too. At that point I was feeling pretty crappy about myself. I kept looking at my clock, worried that I wouldn't make my goal even though I was walking really fast. Just as I was starting to pick up into a jog, I looked beside me and saw my father-in-law jogging in his own zone approaching me. That is when my competitive nature kicked me in the butt. My subconscious said, "OH NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU GOING TO LET HIM PASS YOU!" and I took off like a cannon (or so John tells me hehe). It's not because I think John is slow or that I didn't want to run with him. Its just that I KNEW from running 8 weeks together that I always have a faster pace than him and so I knew that I should/was capable of going faster than I was. That was the motivation I needed...so thanks John! So I ran fast for the last half mile or so, and finished strong. Unfortunately, I didn't make my goal. I finished at 31 minutes, 13 seconds. I was pretty disappointed about this, but also thrilled that I had just ran the race and did my best. John didn't finish very far behind me at 31 minutes, 59 seconds. He was hoping to finish under 35 minutes, and did an amazing job. We are all so proud of him!
![]() |
| Me running hard to finish the race |
![]() |
| Running across the finish line at 31'13" |
![]() |
| My father-in-law finishing strong |
![]() |
| My father-in-law finishing the race at 31'59" |
Now this is something I don't really feel like talking about, but feel I must if I am to keep true to my blog and be honest about all this motherhood stuff. So I apologize if you feel weird reading this. But all you mamas and mamas-to-be out there may sympathize. Ever since I have birthed Meo, I have been really working hard to rebuild and strengthen my super-stretched-out-and-wimpy pelvic floor muscles. Apparently this is an extremely common problem women have after childbirth. For me, it only happens when I try to push myself running; like when I tried to sprint at the end of the race. I knew it might happen, and I remember thinking, "I can stop now and be disappointed that I didn't give it my all, or give it my all and be a bit embarrassed that my shorts might get a bit damp." Well I went with the latter, and not even Robbie noticed. Mind you, I had to sit down immediately so no one could see while Robbie went to the car to get me my change of clothes (I anticipated something like that happening) and a blanket to change under, thus I had to forgo my cool down run. Definitely something I will talk to my midwife about whenever I have my annual exam. Definitely need to do more Kegels. Any other mamas have this problem? Ugh.
![]() |
| Tired after the race |
![]() |
| "Yeah! We did it" |
![]() |
| At the end of our first race! |
![]() |
| Meo and I sharing a banana for our muscles |
![]() |
| Waiting to hear the winners |
Barefoot Running
You may or may not have noticed that I am wearing Vibram FiveFingers in my running photos. These are minimal shoes, which are basically like being barefoot. They offer no support, only a thin layer of protection against sharp objects. But you feel EVERYTHING, and they are wonderful. I ran my whole 8 week program and my race in them, and I use them all the time when we go hiking. I love them. The only drawback is when I am running on a really gravely road, I occasionally land on a really sharp rock, which hurts a lot. This only happened about three times during my 8 weeks though, and I usually would just cuss loudly, keep running, and deal with having a bruised foot for a couple days. I found wearing socks offers a little more padding on those types of terrain. Sometimes my feet would get sore, like any of my other muscles. But it was actually a cool feeling to know that my feet were strengthening, and if they are sore I make sure to let them have a break before I run again. Most of the time my feet were very happy though. I feel like I have more control over my body and better balanced when I run barefoot, and I form a more intimate connection with the earth. I feel stronger, more confident, and happier. Here are some of the benefits to wearing Vibrams:
1. Strengthens Muscles in the Feet and Lower Legs—Wearing Vibram FiveFingers will stimulate and strengthen muscles in the feet and lower legs, improving general foot health and reducing the risk of injury.
2. Improves Range of Motion in Ankles, Feet and Toes—No longer 'cast' in a shoe, the foot and toes move more naturally.
3. Stimulates Neural Function Important to Balance and Agility—When wearing Vibram FiveFingers, thousands of neurological receptors in the feet send valuable information to the brain, improving balance and agility.
4. Eliminate Heel Lift to Align the Spine and Improve Posture—By lowering the heel, your bodyweight becomes evenly distributed across the footbed, promoting proper posture and spinal alignment.
5. Allow the Foot and Body to Move Naturally—Which just FEELS GOOD.
![]() |
| Wearing my fivefingers for my first race |
My Running Future
This, I don't really know yet. My initial intention was to lose ten-fifteen more pounds to get back to my old weight. While I am more fit than I once was, I still have some more weight to lose. I've gained a lot of muscle, which ways more than fat, but I still would like to be more trim. So that is reason enough for me to keep up with running for a while more. I also feel good that I can run for longer than I ever could and I'd like to see if I can run even longer. I never thought I could be a runner, but now I feel like if I keep working hard, I might surprise myself. I read about the Bridge to 10K app, and part of me is really considering it. 6.2 miles...sure, I bet I could do it. Maybe. The only trouble is, I'm not sure I have the time to run 60-75 minutes at a time without bringing Meo, and that would mean investing in a jogging stroller AND learning how to run with a stroller. That seems daunting, but something I have been thinking about. For now, I will keep up with my 30 minute runs and maybe work my way to 40-45 so that my next 5K will be better. I signed up for one in August (so did my father-in-law) and I really hope to get under 30 minutes next time. Wish me luck!
![]() |
| Running is hard, but brings a certain kind of peace |





















Very proud of you!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete