Sunday, July 22, 2012

Blueberry Picking

Friday morning we went blueberry picking with Grandma (Robbie's mom). I had a hard time figuring out if I should bring Meo before or after his morning nap. We tried to go before, and sure enough, he fell asleep in the car during the 15 minute car ride to the field. But I decided to try to get him in his carrier without waking him up and he ended up waking up. But he seemed perfectly happy to be awake and full of huge goofy smiles. We went to Libby & Son U-Picks which is our favorite place to pick berries. They have 12 varieties of blueberries there and the location is gorgeous; all around you are beautiful mountains and Maine woods. Our family favorite blueberry variety are the Patriots, so we hopped on for a golf cart ride all the way to the back corner of the huge field where the Patriots are located. Meo thought the golf cart ride there and back was so much fun, he couldn't stop smiling and was looking all around.

Patriots

Patriots

Hoping that Meo would fall back asleep, I kept him in his ERGObaby carrier for the first 20 minutes or so. But he did not fall asleep; he was way too excited about all the blueberries!  After I popped a couple in his mouth to sample (he loves blueberries), he couldn't get enough and kept reaching out of the carrier to pick his own!

Giving Meo a blueberry

"Mmm, those look delicious!"

"I want some more!"

I decided to take my chances and set him free to roam the earth (carefully supervised of course; I didn't want him to reek havoc on the plants!).  Meo managed to surprise me. Not only was he really gentle with all the plants, he was very careful about what he picked. He would use his thumb and forefinger to carefully select a berry most of the time. What's more, he almost always made sure he got a ripe blue one! An then he would proceed to eat them. It was so cute watching him pick the berries!


Set loose

Pointing to some blueberries

Precision picking


Point first

Then pick

After a while he got full and was content to crawl around with a stick and scratch at the ground with it. Oh, and he sampled the dirt too. Not the best idea.

Meo and his stick

Yucky dirt!

The temperature was perfect, and Jeannine and I both managed to pick about $20 worth of berries each! Meo enjoyed crawling over to his grandmother for the ocassional visit too. He's such a sweet boy!

Picking with Grandma

When we were all done and back at the car, I put Meo in the car-seat, and within 1 minute he was sound asleep! Blueberry picking is hard work! But well worth it, we have been enjoying fresh blueberries with every meal all weekend; yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment