Monday, August 20, 2012

Being 1 is so...busy!

Here is another one of those hodgepodge posts...even though I said I wouldn't do it anymore...because I can't help it...because I take photos of everything and want to make sure Meo gets to see them some day. So there.

Mimi's Passing Anniversary Mass and Dinner

Three years ago, what would have been one of Meo's great-grandmother's, Mimi, passed away. Unfortunately, she never got to meet little Meo, but I am confident that she is smiling down on him from a more peaceful place. Mimi was an amazing woman and we all miss her greatly. In honor of her memory, some of the family went to her anniversary Mass at church, then went to have dinner with Pepere at his place of residence. It was a great evening full of laughter, yummy food and love.

My dad and Meo

My sister Sam and Robbie

My Pepere and Aunt Anne
Moms' Night Out!

Last Saturday night, my loving/wonderful/spectacular husband agreed to drop me off at the Wine Bar in Portland while he drove around with a sleeping baby listening to lullaby music so I could have a "moms' night out" with some Birth Roots Buds friends. I had an appletini, which is something I have been missing for well over a year, and enjoyed some great company. We talked about sleep, vacations, food and all kinds of stuff, had some laughs, and got a little tipsy (well I did at least hehe). I could only stay for one drink, but I had a lot of fun. Thanks for a great night mamas!



My Dad Turned 50?!

I can hardly believe it; 50 years old! Happy Birthday Daddy, I'm so glad we were able to celebrate with you!

Happy Birthday Daddy!

Bryce licking the candles

First taste of ice cream cake...too cold!

"What is this mom?"

Cousins having fun!

More Needles for Meosaur, Boooo

As part of becoming a year old, it is routine for babies to have their blood drawn to test for things like anemia and lead. We opted out of having it done the day of his appointment since he had three vaccinations that day (more than enough needles I think), so we did it a week later. Robbie's mom had the day off, so she was able to come with me and make a day of it.

First I went to pick up my wedding ring, which I had re-sized at a local jeweler. The end of pregnancy made my fingers swell, and a year later, even though I am back to my normal size, my finger is still fatter than it was so I had to get my ring resized. I had tried to where it on two different occasions, stubbornly thinking it would fit again, and ended up with basically third degree burns (ouch). But now, a size 5 (half a size up from what it was), it fits perfectly and I am once again visibly a married woman.

My beautiful wedding band

For lunch, Grandma treated us to Otto pizza. She had never been, and she enjoyed the mashed potato, bacon and scallion pizza. Meo and I shared a butternut squash, ricotta cheese and cranberry pizza, and brought home leftovers to share with Daddy.

Shaking grandma's hand

Our yumy pizza


Next was Meo's blood draw. The receptionist ladies loved Meo and showered him with compliments and a sticker as he excitedly walked holding Mommy's hand around the lobby. The worst part about getting his blood drawn was making him sit still. I had to have him sit on my lap with his back to me and with my arm wrapped over his shoulder and across his chest like a seat belt. He didn't like them putting the rubber bands on his arm, and he didn't like being restrained. He was crying at the top of his lungs with big crocodile tears before a needle was even in the picture. In fact, I don't even think he noticed when the needle went in. It was a very small needle and it happened quickly...they did a great job.

Meo with his bandage on from his blood draw (and new ball from Grandma!)

Poor baby :(

Playing with a grasshopper when we got home

Cool grasshopper!

We got back the test results already and the doctor said everything looks perfect, except his iron levels are a little low. This made my heart sink because I have been working really hard to make sure he gets lots of iron since that is the most difficult nutrient to get as a vegetarian. But she said not to be worried or concerned, and that he doesn't need a supplement or anything, we just need to make sure he eats more iron rich foods. So since then we have gotten a cast iron pan to start cooking in (that is supposed to significantly increase iron absorption), have been offering him beans daily, and got a variety of iron fortified grains like crackers and cheerios for him to eat. I think he'll be iron rich in no time.

"Umm, this is a lot of food mom"

Finally, I had another eye doctors appointment, so Grandma was kind enough to stay in the car with sleeping Meo (my appointment was directly after his blood draw) while I had my check up. My contacts are doing great with no signs of the infiltritaous still, yay! And my new glasses came in, I love them! It's so great to be able to see again.

New glasses

Beach Day with Mema!

Last Friday, my mom and I took Meo to Crescent Beach in Cape Elizabeth. You can already small autumn in the air and feel it in the breeze, so we want to fit in a couple more beach days before it gets too cold. My mom had never been to that beach, and I hadn't been since I was pregnant so it was a nice change. The sand is really fine and soft there, and the landscape is beautiful. All three of us went swimming twice (completely under too!) even though it was a bit more chilly than the lake water. Meo is such a little sea otter, it amazes me that he doesn't complain about being in the cold water. He has so much fun at the beach!

The only bummer about our time at the beach is that we were next to some really snotty mothers. They had a sunshade like us and there were three of them with their babies. Meo spotted one of the babies sitting in the sand outside of the tent playing with trucks. Meo LOVES playing with trucks, and was immediately attracted to them. He kept crawling over to them as fast as his little legs would propel him, only for me to scoop him up and bring him back. I felt so bad. After several times of this act, Meo was getting frustrated. I looked at the moms and asked if it was okay if he played with the little boy, but they just gave me dirty looks and ignored me. Even the baby was a snot and scooped up his toys when Meo started reaching for them. Meo was so frustrated when I carried him off after that he started crying, and my mom and I had to move further down the beach so that he wouldn't see the trucks any more and be content to play with us again. I saw one of the moms later on a boardwalk and smiled at her and she didn't even have the courtesy to smile back. What a bitch. Seriously, I have not been around such snotty people since I transferred out of Connecticut College. How does she know how much money I have? How does she know how educated I am? I can almost guarantee that I am more educated and talented than she is; I am at least a hell of a lot nicer. Ugh. I am glad my mother and I still were able to have fun with Meo.

We stopped at Whole Foods to get food for the beach, and Meo wanted to push the cart

Mattimeo pushing the cart at Whole Foods

Mema and Meo




Mommy and Meo

Nursing

Meo feeding me a scone

Mmm, scone

Rainy Day Fun

We had a stormy/rainy day at some point last week and I was feeling tired and lazy. Normally I never watch tv or movies with Meo, but Meo got a really awesome Ghibli movie from his uncle for his birthday and I thought it would be the perfect day to watch it. I know he shouldn't be watching tv until he is two, but I thought one time would be fun and wouldn't hurt him. My snuggled on my lap almost the entire movie! He was so cute! The movie is meant for little kids and is incredibly sweet, fun and has a great message about family, love, and nature. He pointed at things on the screen and I told him what things were. He laughed with the little girls when they laughed. I explained what was going on in the story to him. He just loved it so much, and I loved snuggling with him, comfy in our sweatpants munching on crackers. Meo held onto his Neko Bus (Cat bus), which is a character in the movie. I had gotten the little plush when I went to Japan for a few weeks in college and visited the Ghibli Museum. He was so adorable, and it was a special little bonding time for us.

Meo watching "My Neighbor Totoro" with his Neko Bus
That night, Robbie got in some snuggle time too during bath time and after as they read books together. Meo loves his bath and naked time with Daddy!





Reading with Daddy during naked time

Carter's First Birthday

This weekend, our wonderful Mommy friend worked very hard to throw a fabulous monkey themed first birthday party for cutie pie Carter. I remember the first time I met Carter; it was in our birthroots buds class and he was only 1 or 2 months old. I remember him well because he was so handsome and would always smile at me with his big blue eyes from across the circle. Such a beautiful boy! We had a lot of fun at his party, and it was great to see our other mommy and baby friends. Unfortunately I was incredibly nauseous and uncomfortable with the beginnings of a migraine, so we left a little early so I could close my eyes and go home and take a nap. Thanks for having us Sarah, Carter and Harrison; Meo loved his new toy monkey and all the yummy food! And happy birthday Carter! (his actual birthday is tomorrow).

Meo with the birthday boy

Happy birthday Carter!!

Adorable monkey cupcake Sarah made from scratch!

Love is Better than a Warm Trombone...

...says Gomez. And perhaps me. And Meo. But we do love Daddy's trombone playing (when we can sit still, right Meo?).


No comments:

Post a Comment