Sunday, August 19, 2012

5K Race Number 2

Today Robbie, my father-in-law John, and I all ran in the MS Harborfest Shoreside 5K Run. "Robbie?" You may be wondering, "I didn't know Robbie ran too". Well, he doesn't really. A few weeks ago, I convinced him to go for a run with me on the weekend. To my astonishment, he was able to keep pace with me and run an entire 5K having had no training whatsoever. First of all, this was a little frustrating to me who had been training so hard to get to that point. But mostly I felt impressed and proud that I have such a handsome, fit, man of a husband hehe. Anyways...I found that I really enjoyed running with him by my side and convinced him to sign up and do the 5K race with us. So he did, and we were able to run as a family which was very special.

The Robinson family ready to run!

This race was especially important to our family because Robbie's mom, Jeannine, has been fighting MS most of her adult life. So supporting an organization that is working hard to cure MS was very important to all of us. Here is a little more information about MS.
Why We Fight MS

Multiple sclerosis interrupts the flow of information from the brain to the body and can stop people from moving forward in their lives. Every hour in the United States, someone is newly diagnosed with MS, an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system. Symptoms range from numbness and tingling to blindness and paralysis. The progress, severity, and specific symptoms of MS in any one person cannot yet be predicted, but advances in research and treatment are moving us closer to a world free of MS. Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50, with more than twice as many women as men contracting the disease. Even teenagers and young children can be diagnosed with MS, which affects more than 400,000 people in the U.S., and 2.5 million worldwide.

Why I Run

I've registered for the MS Harborfest Shoreside 5K Run because I want to do something for the people who have been diagnosed - and because I want to do everything to prevent more people from having to live with this disease. Today, there is no cure for multiple sclerosis, and with a diagnosis occurring most frequently between the ages of 20 and 50, many individuals face a lifetime filled with unpredictability. Having someone with MS in my family, and seeing how much they struggle with the disease makes this run very important to me.
Jeannine was able to come to the race today, not as a participant (although she has walked in these races in the past), but as support and encouragement for the three of us. She was joined by my mom, and of course little Meo, who all rooted for us from the sidelines. It was so great seeing their smiling faces and hearing them cheer us on both at the start and end of the race. Thank you moms/grandmas/sweet son! We love you all so much!

Our moms

Meo walking with his grandma

For whatever reason, perhaps because I had already done a race before or perhaps because I knew Robbie would be running beside me, I didn't feel very nervous this time. We got there with plenty of time to stretch, use the bathroom, and play with Mattimeo before lining up at the start line.

Meo is always on the move these days

Meo decided to push his stroller around himself hehe

Meo meeting a friendly poodle

Patting the poodle

I think he thought this was a strange looking dog hehe

Hanging out with Daddy before the race

People watching with Daddy

Pointing

Here are our pre-race portraits:


"Meo, hold still for 5 seconds please!"


Father and Son

Robinsons ready to race!

The run itself was fantastic. Robbie and I were able to keep a very steady pace the whole time, even up all the hills, and were able to push ourselves hard for the last section of the race. Much of the race was along the shore, right on the east end trail which was where I used to walk dogs all the time back before I had Mattimeo and was a professional dog-walker. Then the route took us into town up North Street and down Congress Street, which was a lot of fun. It felt great to be back in the part of town, since that was where we used to live, and I was so familiar with the route from my daily dog walks. The breeze was perfect, and the temperature was comfortable; we couldn't have asked for a better day to race. My goal was to finish under 30 minutes, and I thought for sure we were going to make it, but somehow we were right around 31 minutes. Alas. Robbie and didn't really feel disappointed though because it felt like we were going really fast the whole time, and we had a really strong finish. Robbie was so encouraging throughout the run (both for his and my sake), and it was really great having him as a running buddy. Robbie's dad finished shortly behind us at around 33 minutes, making his goal of getting under 34 minutes. Go John! Go Robinson clan!

Right after we finished the race!

Meo attacked my head! haha

Beautiful day!

So happy!

We did it!

After the race, we enjoyed laying around on the promenade for a bit drinking water and coffee, eating bagels and bananas, and watching the lobster boats line up for their race.

Eastern Prom

Busy boy Meo

Father and son, playing in the grass

Hiking (Meo sticks his tongue out when he's concentrating hehe)

Eating a banana...I guess he worked hard too!

Looking at the lobster boats

Family

Pointing at the boats hehe

I am so glad to have had such a wonderful morning and fun run with my family today. Thank you all for your support and love. You make life amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I was able to come, wish I was able to run, but I'm glad I was. On the sideline , cheering everyone on!! So proud of you John, and Robby even Mattimeo claped! Was very proud of you, ;).what a wonderfull heartwarming day!!

    ReplyDelete