Under this program, AOA optometrists provide a comprehensive eye and vision assessments for infants within the first year of life regardless of a family's income or access to insurance coverage. Optometrists encourage parents to include a trip to the optometrist on the list of well-baby check-ups. Clinical research shows that at six months, most babies have reached a number of developmental milestones making this an appropriate age for a first eye exam. It is estimated that one in 10 children is at risk from an undiagnosed eye or vision problem. Because many eye conditions have no visual symptoms, a general well-baby check-up may not detect them. If left untreated, these problems can lead to difficulties in school or even permanent vision loss. The first year of life is a time when many vision problems might be prevented or more easily corrected.Assessments at six to twelve months of age can determine healthy development of vision.I recruited my mom to go with us to the optometrist so that she could watch Meo while I got examined. So before heading to the doctor, the three of us went to Libby's to pick some more blueberries (we ate all of the other ones!). Meo was being a goof ball and eating blueberries off the ground like a piggy and just sticking his face in the dirt. It made us laugh, which only encouraged him to do it more.
![]() |
| After sticking his face in the dirt |
They had live music there this time, and my mom was really cute dancing around with Meo after we finished blueberry picking.
![]() |
| Dancing with Mema |
Then we headed straight to the optometrist while Meo snuck in a much needed snooze. Our new optometrist was great; I am really happy we switched. He was easy to talk to, explained everything really well, and was great with Mattimeo. Mattimeo had his exam right on my lap. He did all sorts of different tests using different instruments, and Meo thought it was all very fascinating. Whenever the doctor needed him to look straight ahead instead of at the instruments, he had my mom dance around behind him with this red ball that Meo quickly became obsessed with. (Here I should note that they were playing the water polo portion of the Olympics in the waiting room, and Meo was pointing at the tv shouting, "ball! Ball! Ball!" So when he got to have an actual red ball in the doctors office, he was thrilled). The doctor said he's done lots of baby exams in the past, and Mattimeo was doing way better than other babies. I was very proud of him. Then he said he would definitely cry when he put drops in his eyes to dilate them. I laid him down in my lap and told him that the doctor was going to put drops in his eyes, that it was going to feel weird but mommy was staying right here and he would be okay. He was a champ! Meo didn't cry after either drop! he just scrunched his eyes really hard and blinked a lot. We were all so amazed that we started giggling after, which made Meo start laughing. Laughing after eye drops was definitely a new experience for this doctor! Go Meo!
![]() |
| Meo and I at his first eye exam |
Meo's eyes were perfect, thank goodness. Hopefully he will have Daddy's vision and not Mommy's!
My eyes aren't so good. Even with correction, I don't have 20/20 vision (I have 25/20 I think he said?). The good news is my infiltritis is cleared up and I am back in contacts. This is wonderful. This means I can wear sunglasses again. I can see in the shower and not cut myself shaving my legs. I can see when I play with Meo in the pool or lake or ocean. My eyes won't fog over when I'm running. I'm so happy! But since my glasses were in such crap condition, and I do wear them a lot in the evenings, I needed to get a new pair. I picked out some sweet black plastic Oakley frames that I am really excited about.
Meanwhile, Meo was a little dozey and dopey from his eye drops. He was playing ball with Mema, and a couple times reached out for the ball and missed it because he vision with off. Poor baby with giant dilated pupils! He was really sleepy and my mom ended up putting him in his car seat with music from Pandora on her phone playing and he promptly fell asleep. It was a big day for both of our sleepy eyes!



No comments:
Post a Comment