Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Teeth Brushing for Meo

brushing our teeth!

For someone who has never had a cavity in her whole life, dental hygiene is very important to me. So when I was at the dentist office last, I asked my dentist how I should care for Meo's teeth (at that time he didn't have any). He said that we should wipe his teeth and gums after meals with xylitol wipes. Xylitol is a sugar naturally occurring in birch trees as well as other plants. The cool thing about this sugar is that it consists of a five-carbon ring that plaque-causing bacteria cannot digest. Thus, xylitol aids in preventing cavities. Unlike other sugars, xylitol doesn't elevate blood sugar like other sugars, so it is healthy for babies to ingest. 

Once Meo's first tooth appeared, we bought some xylitol wipes. We decided to go with the Spiffies brand. They come in yummy flavors; Meo really likes the apple flavored ones. My dentist said you can just make your own with gauze and xylitol (you can buy it at some health food stores in solid form); perhaps we will try that in the future. We also got him a little Green Sprouts tooth brush, which has a silicon ring near the brush so that he can't jam the toothbrush into his throat.

We now have a daily tooth care routine. In the morning, after breakfast, Meo and I go in the bathroom and brush our teeth together. First I wipe his teeth and gums down with the xylitol wipe, then we both get out our tooth brushes and brush our teeth (I don't give him toothpaste). He loves this! He likes to stand in front of the mirror like I do and watch himself, he's so cute.


Meo brushing his teeth in the mirror

Meo brushing his teeth in the mirror

When we are done brushing, I used to just take the toothbrush away, but that would make him cry because he loves it so much. So instead, I hold him on my hip in front of the sink, then take the toothbrush and tell him about how I am rinsing it off and putting it away for next time with Mommy and Daddy's toothbrushes. This gives him some closure and works like a charm.

At night, after Meo takes his bath, Robbie does the same sort of routine. He wipes down his mouth with the xylitol wipes then lets him have his toothbrush. Hopefully we are instilling good habits early and protecting his teeth so they will grow strong and healthy!

1 comment:

  1. yes I think you are instilling good hydgene, and good habitats! So cute in the mirror, good job Mattimeo! ����

    ReplyDelete