After conquering Mount Washington with Mattimeo (make sure you read about it in my previous post if you haven't already!), Robbie and I were pretty exhausted! So when we got back to the campsite, Robbie got busy warming up some Annie's cheese ravioli, while I set up our "nest" inside the tent. Normally Robbie and I just sleep on our Thermarest sleeping pads and sleeping bags, but to make sure it was warm and comfortable enough for Meo (and me side nursing), we brought a bunch of extra blankets. Although its still not as comfortable as a bad, the extra blankets certainly are a step closer.
Meo playing while we got things ready
To give Meo dinner, we set up his travel booster chair on the picnic table. It is meant to be set up on a chair with a back, but just sticking something heavy (like our cooler) behind him and staying nearby to supervise worked out just fine. I think it worked out better than sitting down with him on the ground and having him in his Bumbo chair like we did last time we went camping.
Dinner!
Set up at dinner time
The first night of sleep went fine. Meo went to sleep right away at 7:30, and since I was so tired from our hike I just stayed in bed with him.
"Hey! Hurrsy up and get changed, I want to nurse!"
Getting ready for bed
I slept okay the first night. I think I woke up every hour, and I felt excited when the sun came up because that meant I didn't have to try to sleep anymore, but somehow I felt rested. It was raining all morning, so Robbie, Meo and I just hung out in the tent for a few hours playing, snuggling and eating breakfast. Robbie said that waking up with Meo in the tent was his favorite part of our whole trip, and I have to say I agree. Meo loves camping and snuggling with us, and since Robbie usually leaves for work he doesn't wake up with us in the morning normally. So having that unstructured time in the tent was very special for all of us.
Robbie and I were pretty tired physically from our big hike, and with all the rain we almost decided to pack up and go home a day early so we could relax. But once we got out of the tent and saw how much fun Meo was having playing outside, and how beautiful our surroundings were, we changed our mind. So we drove into town to find a nice coffee shop to hang out in for a little while and have our daily cup of joe. Unfortunately the coffee we got was really quite gross and I ended up throwing it out after a few sips and getting a bottle of water. But at least Meo got in a nice nap on the drive in and we had a chance to do a little window shopping.
When we got back we had some lunch, and were visited by my cousin Kenny and his girlfriend Celia, who randomly were camping in the same campground as us all weekend! What a treat to have some company! Meo was very happy to see them.
Meo mastered squat to stand to walk all in one day
Hanging out at the campsite before lunch
Meo loves his Daddy
Kenny and Celia
Kenny was in the mood for a hike, so we told him he should come with us for our afternoon hike to see Thompson Falls. The total distance for the hike would only be 2.8 miles and it was pretty flat, but Robbie and I just wanted a nice walk in the woods with some pretty scenery after our intense climb the previous day. We had a little trouble finding the trail head, and actually got a picture in front of the wrong trail before I realized we were at the wrong place!
Wrong trail!
But eventually we found the correct trail by the Wildcat ski lodge and gondola rides.
At the start of the Thompson Falls trail
Like I said early, the trail was nice and easy. We enjoyed a very rooty dirt path through a lush wood that hinted of approaching autumn. It was lovely.
Kenny, Meo and I
Sweet Meo
Cousins
Eventually, the trail brought us to the bottom of Thompson Falls. It was very beautiful, but I imagine it would be much more impressive in the spring after the snow melts and the water is really flowing.
Meo and I at Thompson Falls
Meo pointing at the waterfall
Kenny and Robbie at Thompson Falls
The rest of the hike followed the stream uphill, so it required a little more exertion. It was really pretty though, and we all enjoyed it. Thanks for hiking with us Kenny! We had a lot of fun, and it was nice to get to spend some time with you!
Kenny, Meo and I
Going up!
Cousins climbing
Robbie
Cousins on top of the falls
Kenny was looking for gold
Kenny found this awesome spider web
End of trail
Examining a tree
Meo checking out some birch bark
Feeling the bark
After our hike, Robbie, Meo and I drove back into town to have our traditional post-hike pizza and pick up some more diapers and toothpaste (we use disposables when we are camping because it makes unpacking easier on us). Mattimeo got in lots of walking practice in the parking lots, and pushing the cart through the grocery store.
Walking outside of Pizza Hut
By the time we got home, it was already bed time, and we settled down for another cozy night in the great outdoors. In the morning, we once again enjoyed some family time eating and playing in the tent before packing up to go home.
Meo and Daddy
Asking to be picked up
In need of a shower
Happy baby loves camping!
Here is a video of Meo trying to immitate me squeling (like I was doing when Robbie was tickling my feet):
We had a fantastic weekend of camping and hiking in the White Mountains! And boy were we in need of a shower after three days and two hikes without one!
Feeling scruffy on the drive home
We left Maine with a baby and returned with a toddler! Since Meo didn't really like crawling on the damp and rocky forest floor, he mastered walking really quickly! When we left, he had only been able to take 5 or 6 steps. When we got back he had mastered going from squatting, to standing, to walking, to even being able to change directions on his own. Now Mattimeo doesn't even crawl anymore. I thought the change over from crawling to walking would take at least a couple weeks, turns out it just took a day or two! Go Meo! I am so proud of my happy, strong, beautiful toddler!
Mattimeo, the toddler, walking in the yard at home
love the dirty knees lol!! glad you got to spend time with your cousin the sign language no words incredibble!! beautiful views! special family time and bonding :O))
love the dirty knees lol!! glad you got to spend time with your cousin the sign language no words incredibble!! beautiful views! special family time and bonding :O))
ReplyDelete