I hate this post and I hate that this is happening to us. Mattimeo is having a nursing strike. It hasn't been a very long strike, but nonetheless I am deeply saddened. In all of our history of breastfeeding these 13 months, Meo has never once refused to nurse. Even if he wasn't hungry, he would still latch on for a bit and pacify. So the fact that he has refused to nurse since this morning and it is now dinner time deeply troubles me. Well, I did get him to nurse a very little bit while he was half asleep, but I'm not sure he got very much. At least it was something.
Let me start from the beginning. Meo and I are both sick. Robbie's mom caught a cold from work, and inevitably Meo and I got it since we all live together.
| Robbie doesn't want to get sick |
| Daddy reading to sick Meo so mommy can rest |
I pumped a good 8 ounces of milk while he napped, and when he stirred after an hour or so, I rushed over to his side and offered him my breast. He sleepily accepted it and nursed himself back to sleep. I was sooo relieved and thankful! But ever since he's woken up, he won't have anything to do with nursing again! I am so worried. I keep offering to nurse, but he just won't. I am sure he thinks its going to be painful. I only hope that he will start missing it and risk the discomfort soon. Meanwhile, I have read lots of advise regarding nursing strikes from The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding put out by LLL and browsed through Kellymom.com. For now I will keep trying non-pressure ways of offering frequent nursing sessions, including trying to take a bath with him after dinner, and pumping milk to prevent clogged ducts and loss of supply. It hasn't been very long, but I miss it so much. I am not ready for my little guy to wean!
I am sure this is just a temporary strike, and we will get through this. Please, oh please, I hope so. I know that there is a lot more to our relationship than nursing, but it is something special we have always had that has helped us become so attached, and it frightens me to think we might lose that wonderful piece.
| Maybe some fresh air will help us feel better |
Here are some tips I've found in case anyone is interested:
- Try nursing when the baby is asleep or very sleepy, such as during the night or while napping. Many babies who refuse to nurse when they are awake will nurse when they are sleepy.
- Vary nursing positions. Some babies will refuse to nurse in one position but take the breast in another.
- Nurse when in motion. Some babies are more likely to nurse when rocking or walking rather than sitting or standing still.
- Nurse in an environment that is free from distractions. Some babies, especially babies older than three months or so, may be easily distracted. Turn off the radio and television, and try nursing in a quiet, darkened room.
- Give the baby extra attention and skin-to-skin contact. Focused attention and extra touching are comforting to both mother and baby. When offering the breast, whenever possible undress to the waist and clothe the baby in just a diaper. Use a shawl or blanket around both of you if the room is chilly.
- A baby sling or carrier can help keep the baby close between attempts to nurse. Taking warm baths together can also be soothing. Sleeping together provides extra closeness and more opportunities to nurse while the baby is sleeping.
No comments:
Post a Comment