Yesterday, we took Link (2 months old) for his very first hike. It was also Meo's first time snowshoeing a fair way up a mountain. We went to Douglas Mountain, which is just a short drive from our house. As we just had another big snowstorm, it was particularly beautiful.
We were going to take our usual loop up and down the mountain, but the road to the parking lot wasn't plowed and as we began walking towards it, we realized we werent in shape enough or warm enough (the wind was brutal) to walk that long. So we went back and took the short but steep Ledges Trail up and down.
Link was asleep on me before we even got on the trail, and I could hear his sweet little snores while I hiked. Meo began the hike on Robbie's back.
But soon, Meo was itching to get out and climb the mountain on his own two feet. So we set him free.
I must say that I am incredibly proud of our little boy. The hiking was not easy; the trail was very steep and I was winded and covered in sweat by the time we set him down (admittedly, I am not in very good shape still after just having had a baby). But even though he asked for help several times, with just some verbal encouragement he made his way up with the biggest of smiles and the littlest of stumbles.
We made it to the summit, and Meo was so proud of himself. He did such a great job! Link was still sleeping so he didn't get to enjoy the view. He did however get to feel the icey cold wind as it cut through our layers and cried put, so I retreated to the shelter of the trees while Robbie and Meo went up the tower.
Going down was much easier, although we zigzagged to avoid skiing as it was very steep in some spots.
Robbie entertained us by repeatedly singing the Reindeer song from the movie "Frozen", which is a movie all four of us went to see together recently and loved. I mean entertain quite sincerely by the way, as Robbie has a wonderful voice.
It was a great snowshoe/hike, and we all enjoyed a big lunch and a well deserved nap when we got home.






















No comments:
Post a Comment