Monday, August 25, 2014

Mud.

I would like to think that I'm a parent who's okay with their kids getting dirty. I allow them to cook with me in the kitchen and make a mess, I let them experiment with and enjoy their food at meal time, I don't worry about their clothes getting messy when they play outside. We go hiking, nature walks, garden, and dig holes. But let's face it...even though I DO do those things, I still like things to be clean. I can't help but try to tidy up that paint that dripped on the floor, or prevent that handful of dirt from becoming a hair-full of dirt by encouraging a quick rinse of the hands in the rain bucket. But it's SOOO important just to let kids get dirty sometimes. Unrestricted, covered in head to toe, having the time of their life filthy. I wasn't sure if I had honestly let them get that dirty without flinching. So today I decided to let them have a go at it. I gave them mud.




Honestly, I didn't think Link would really be a part of all this. But he ended up having the time of his life!











Meo loved playing in the mud, but he didn't get nearly as dirty...even though I encouraged him to go ahead a be filthy. Mostly he was very focused on digging with shovels, digging with his backhoe, and transferring water with a cup.






Link was very focused on splashing in the mud.









Meo and I couldn't stop laughing at Link the whole time we were playing. He was just so full of bliss. It was amazing!





I've decided that I should make my best effort to allow my kids to be filthy when they want to be filthy. Not only is it fun for them, but it helps them to explore, play unhindered, and be free.



No comments:

Post a Comment