Monday, January 5, 2015

A New Year and Meo's first time Ice Skating

Happy New Year! Welcoming in the new year wasn't anything spectacular for us this year; Meo practicing saying hooray at the end of a pretend countdown and Link ended up staying up til midnight with Robbie and I because he's a night owl. But we missed the New Year play date we were hoping to attend because both boys had runny noses and didn't want to spread germs, or get new ones. Robbie had a bunch of time of around the new year though, so we enjoyed some family time close to home.



Today, while we were eating lunch, I was explaining to Meo what New Year resolutions are. I told him they are something people do or decide not to do in order to improve their life or the life of others. Meo asked what "improved" meant and I told him "to make something better than it was". I asked him if he had any New Year resolutions, and my three year surprised me with his answer:

To say "please" and "thank you" more.

And what is even more spectacular is that I noticed an actual difference in the amount he used these words from then on. It was a proud Mama moment.

I have some New Year resolutions as well:

1. To drink more water. My lips are constantly chapped, my skin is try, my hair is rubbish I am nursing two children, and I know I am not drinking enough. My new goal is to drink a gallon a day, which equates to 6 of my 22 oz water bottles (approximately).

2. To take the boys outside everyday, no matter what the weather is like. I need to be walking for exercise everyday, and nature is good for all of us.

3. To do at least five minutes of yoga a day. Hopefully involving the boys too...yoga is great for us all.

4. To read at least one novel a month.

5. To stop using my Iphone to take photos and use my Canon. The big reasons for this are I take better photos with my camera, I will barely be on my phone at all (more present with the boys), I will take LESS photos (less to sort through and edit), and I will be more inclined to learn the manual features of my camera so it will be easier for me to learn how to use an SLR whenever that happy day comes.

With that said, here are some photos from our New Year so far, using [almost] only my Canon.




I made an epic, beautiful LEGO fort. Robbie held the boys down so I could attempt to capture it in a photo before Meo promptly destroyed it.



We went to Wolfe's Neck Farm. It makes me so glad to see Meo happy and comfortable around farm animals now! We can share our love of animals.




The pigs made us laugh because they kept snorting at and chasing the chickens.


We took Meo ice skating for his very first time on Otter Pond at sunset. He absolutely loved it, despite not being able to really skate yet. I was worried he would get frustrated and not want to go after the first time, but he didn't get frustrated at all and asked to go back again the next day!













It also makes me excited that Meo has been requesting to paint and color now. I was worried that he wasn't very interested in art, but he is very enthusiastic about it lately!




We brought Meo out onto the ice a second time, with a bucket to practice moving around independent of us. He did awesome!


However, we weren't out more than five minutes. While I was snapping a couple of quick photos before putting my skates on, Robbie was pulling Link around on the sled. He accidentally hit a rock and the sled tipped over sending Link out onto the ice where he hit his head. I ran out to comfort our crying baby and he started to fall asleep. We uncovered the layers from his head and noticed a huge bump so we called 911. The ambulance came, and Link started to wake up a bit and act more himself. They thought he would be fine, but told us either they could bring us to the ER to get a better look, or we could drive him to the express care. So we drove him to the express care and spent the afternoon waiting there. He just out great, thank goodness! We had been so scared. Meo was incredibly patient through this whole process; he got off the ice all by himself and sat still so I could help him get off his skates while I was on the phone with 911 (they needed me to stay on the line in case Link had any changes while we waited for rescue) and I had to keep Link very still. Then Meo got to go in the ambulance which he declared was "so cool". At the doctor's office he sat and played a phone game quietly while we were there for about 2 hours.


I actually have a picture of Link splayed out on the ice as I was taking photos when it happened...but I don't have the heart to share it! Mind you, I tossed my camera on the ground and was out there on the ice in a heartbeat when I saw what happened!


being patient boys waiting for the doctor

We got a new game for the boys called "Animal upon Animal" and it is fun for all of us! Meo has surprised us with how well he can stack and balance animals. Robbie and I have actually gasped a few times in awe.

















Our snowy walk today.








We ran into our neighbors Louise and Elaine with their dogs Muffin and Zoey. Meo asked to walk Muffin (to all of our amazement because he usually won't even pat her). He was so happy! I love our neighbors.





Drummer boy.



Martial Arts class first homework assignment. Meo was actually attempting to paint within the lines which I neither instructed him to do or expected. He surprises me everyday!




No comments:

Post a Comment