9/8/2015
9/14/2015
9/29/2015
So why do we have our 4 year old in a martial arts class? I am sure there are plenty of people who wonder that. I think there is a common misconception that learning martial arts will encourage violence and rough play. But the truth it, martial arts encourages the opposite! Here are the reasons martial arts has been so great for our preschooler so far:
- He's learning discipline. Martial Arts class is a very fun time for the kids but they are expected to be respectful and follow certain rules. He is learning how to raise his hand and wait patiently to speak or ask questions (he's a chatty guy once he's comfortable so this has definitely been a challenge for him), he is learning that helping to clean up is fun, he is learning to be patient and wait for his turn, and he is learning how to be polite and show respect for his peers and instructors.
- Role Models. Nina Ma'am and Tim Sir are incredible human beings. Meo loves them whole heatedly (he tells me this regularly), and it is this love and respect for them that enables him to want to try and do what they ask. They are people he wants to be like and he flourishes under their enthusiasm and encouragement. I think it's really important for homeschool kids like Meo who aren't necessarily ever left for extended periods of time with any adult besides parents to have a chance to develop a trusting relationship with non-familial adults. I couldn't have chosen better people for him to look up to...they are kind, patient, and good listeners to all the kids. Dude, I want to be their friends too! They have had other teachers/helpers throughout the year and they have all been awesome too (Nicole ma'am and Rex sir).
- How to harness all that energy. My little boys have a lot of energy, and the love to play and be physical. One of their favorite parts of the day is wrestling after bath time. I think the martial arts class has helped Meo to understand that we can put in 100% of our energy into playing but still follow rules and not hurt each other. It's helped him to learn how to play in a way that is satisfying yet safe for everyone. He still has more to learn though ;).
- Confidence! He's gaining confidence to try things that make him nervous. Confidence to talk and stand in front of his peers. Confidence to stand up for himself and tell people "no" when they are bugging him in play group situations. Meo can sometimes be shy when he is first meeting new people, but he certainly has a lot of confidence in himself. I've noticed lately that he is becoming more and more of a leader in play situations, and I think that's pretty darn cool.
- That it's okay to screw up. There were times when Meo was embarrassed or frustrated that he wasn't able to do something. Through class and in talking about difficulties at home, it seems like he's finally understanding that it doesn't matter how well you do, what matters is that you try.
10/6/2015
Link loves playing "monkey monkey dragon" at the end of class. The other kids think he's fun to play with too I think.
10/13/2015
| Being promoted |
10/26/2015
11/3/2015
11/24/2015
| Promotion |
12/1/2015
| Link didn't want me to change his diaper |
12/5/2015 Kicks for Kids Fundraiser
12/10/2015
12/14/2015
No comments:
Post a Comment